Apple To Be Parting Ways With Imagination Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I knew Apple was big, but I just noticed their revenues have almost caught up with those of the entire global semiconductor industry
    Next step, they will build their own fabs, that's the trend.

Comment

This has always been the way at Apple. Creative Technologies was also a victim when they licensed their audio technology for use in the iPods' integrated audio chipsets. When Apple finally learnt enough to make their own embedded audio chips, Creative sued and won but the damage was already done.

Imagination can sue all they want but even if they win the lawsuit, they will lose the war.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        Seems Imagination felt differently about this parting......from their press release, a lawsuit in the making. It's that last line that makes me think we will see this go to court.

https://www.imgtec.com/news/press-re...nse-agreement/

Imagination Technologies Group plc (LSE: IMG, “Imagination”, “the Group”) a leading multimedia, processor and communications technology company, has been notified by Apple Inc. (“Apple”), its largest customer, that Apple is of a view that it will no longer use the Group’s intellectual property in its new products in 15 months to two years time, and as such will not be eligible for royalty payments under the current license and royalty agreement.

Apple has used Imagination’s technology and intellectual property for many years. It has formed the basis of Graphics Processor Units (“GPUs”) in Apple’s phones, tablets, iPods, TVs and watches. Apple has asserted that it has been working on a separate, independent graphics design in order to control its products and will be reducing its future reliance on Imagination’s technology.

Apple has not presented any evidence to substantiate its assertion that it will no longer require Imagination’s technology, without violating Imagination’s patents, intellectual property and confidential information. This evidence has been requested by Imagination but Apple has declined to provide it.

Further, Imagination believes that it would be extremely challenging to design a brand new GPU architecture from basics without infringing its intellectual property rights, accordingly Imagination does not accept Apple’s assertions.

Apple’s notification has led Imagination to discuss with Apple potential alternative commercial arrangements for the current license and royalty agreement.

Imagination has reserved all its rights in respect of Apple’s unauthorised use of Imagination’s confidential information and Imagination’s intellectual property rights.

A further announcement will be made in due course.
        Wow, what an extremely unprofessional response. Guess they felt they had to, considering the stock hammering. But I have zero respect for any of what was said here. Nobody gives a s*** if they reject Apple's claims. It's on Imagination to prove any IP violations. Apple doesn't have to defend themselves from this kind of crap unless they're brought to court over it at some point.

I came into this thread hating Imagination as a company for their horrific driver support, and somehow that made me hate them even more.

Also it proves that patent law must be reformed - Imagination are admitting up front that patents prevent innovation rather than drive it. Something we all knew because it's obvious, but it's good to see a company admit that. (I still dislike them more than I did a few minutes ago, though!)

I don't like Apple as a company, have never owned one of their products, and will never own one of their products. That said, I hope they steamroll all over Imagination in this battle. It'll be a win for the consumers.
        Last edited by Holograph; 03 April 2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Reverse engineering those chips is going to be fun

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            Reverse engineering those chips is going to be fun
            Nobody's going to care about those. Same as nobody cares about their iPhone CPUs. They're good at what they do, but they rank slightly above a rat's ass, as far as the open source community is concerned.

Comment

For me both of these companies would not be missed if they went bankrupt. ImgTec is a horror when it comes to drivers and their attitude shows clearly in their response now, again. Apple made DRM "fancy" and is of similar attitude (sueing folks over rounded corners and the like, as well as producing Iphones for really cheap at Foxconn or somewhere and selling them for tens and hundred times the price).
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                For me both of these companies would not be missed if they went bankrupt. ImgTec is a horror when it comes to drivers and their attitude shows clearly in their response now, again. Apple made DRM "fancy" and is of similar attitude (sueing folks over rounded corners and the like, as well as producing Iphones for really cheap at Foxconn or somewhere and selling them for tens and hundred times the price).
                Two crooks throwing punches at each other in a back alley. The only reason I hope IG wins the lawsuit is that anything that slows Apple down is a win in my book. IG still wouldn't be the hero of the story.

Comment

well, had Imagination played better in the open source world, they would have had more interested companies as cutovers and thus options, ...

Comment

I used to like Apple, but now I type this from my Unibody Razer Blade Stealth. Since Apple ditched magsafe on the macbook pros, I've ditched Apple. The razer does everything the Macbook does including USB Type-C, but without the hastle of fighting Apple's EFI Firmware to run Linux.

Comment

Wow, they pay a pittance to license PowerVR, I would never have imagined; I guess that's a Failure of Imagination on my part. \endpun

Comment

Working...
                      X