No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs Shipping 2 March, Pre-Order Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'll be getting cheapest 4/8 and upgrade to 8/16 in the future. 8 threads should suffice for my virtualization for the studies while AM4 will give me an upgrade path up to 16 threads. I wonder what OC capability will Ryzen 1300 have.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I do wonder if that XFR thing will really matter at the end of the day if people manually overclock their CPU, and if all the CPU's perform approximately the same in overclocking.. It will be interesting to see if thats the case because I really don't want to be buying a $499USD CPU just to get those higher clock rates.
      XFR sounds like an automated OC facility which enables a basic overclock based on thermals for people who don't want to manually OC. It will almost definitely be possible to improve on the quoted XFR frequency with a manual overclock but I don't think this means all chips with have the same potential for a maximum overclock.

The CPUs will almost definitely be binned with the better chips sold at the higher prices. There would be a queue of customers immediately returning their $499 CPUs if it turned out the cheaper chips all delivered exactly the same performance with a simple manual OC.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        please michael do not buy a 65watt TDP 1700 ryzen please buy a 95watt version like the 1700X
        Why? That 1700 without X is probably same less perf for same less money for same less watts.

Or same perf diff like you enable/disable cpufreq ondemand

Probably there is 40% difference between plain 1700 and 1800X, while 1700X is something in between slightly less than half diff or something.
        Last edited by dungeon; 22 February 2017, 08:55 PM.

Comment

To benchmark a rayzen cpu without all features is pointless
          That way we can also claim how 1700X is pointless, so why not 1800X that is flagship anyway

Comment

the 1700X does have all features ... the upgrade to 1800X is only expensive but in my point of view it is not worth the money for the upgrade
            So per you $70 diff between 1700 and 1700X are worthy upgrade, but $100 diff between 1700X and 1800X are not worth money

To me all are fine, if you know you will have something like 40% between slowest and fastest there and that only in mulithreaded benches

So let say $170 diff worth these whole 40% multi, so per you 18% worth $70 but another 22% does not worth $100... maybe i don't really understand, but probably
            Last edited by dungeon; 22 February 2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

the 1700X does have all features ... the upgrade to 1800X is only expensive but in my point of view it is not worth the money for the upgrade
              The 100mhz difference alone isn't worth the extra cost, however at this point no one knows what sort of average overclocks both CPUs will get. If yields are good and AMD have been binning properly the 1800X might be able to overclock a lot further than the 1700X.

Until we know if this is the case it's too early to say if the 1800X is worth the money or not.

Comment

It is easy to guess that 1800X will be fastest i have no doubt and anything else of course slower

Does things worth the money is another question Especially in Europe add €20 more plus 21% VAT and these $499 easely became more than real €600

See there current on Amazon best selling hardware is 1800X combined with $255 mobo

http://wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-7-cpu...-sellers-list/

Who really needs perf does not ask about money
                Last edited by dungeon; 22 February 2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Its amazing that AMD is responsible for a huge drop in Intel sales recently!! I'm really looking forward to some good competition from AMD and my next system will be a Ryzen system. Intel has rested on its laurels for too long, refusing to release any consumer CPU with more than 4 cores for too many years.

Comment

Congrats amd! You folks are going to have a massive quarter. Hopefully this will be a chance to increase the size of the driver team

PS: I really hope these support ecc

Comment

the 1700 does not have the automatic overclock feature called "AMD XFR" but the 1700X does have all features.

the 1700X does have it: http://geizhals.de/amd-ryzen-7-1700x...loc=at&hloc=de

the 1700 does NOT have it: http://geizhals.de/amd-ryzen-7-1700-...loc=at&hloc=de

To benchmark a rayzen cpu without all features is pointless
                      Wrong. All Ryzen 7 have XFR.

Expecting XFR to impact Michael's benchmarks is however pointless, imho. I don't expect him to benchmark with liquid cooling.

I do wonder if that XFR thing will really matter at the end of the day
                      It won't

I really don't want to be buying a $499USD CPU just to get those higher clock rates.
                      I'm afraid either you pay it or you won't get it (at reasonable voltage and power consumption).

And tbh, I'm alright with that. Why should they give away a 1700 for $329 if it overclocks easily to 4 GHz (+), stomping a $1100 i7-6900k?
                      Last edited by juno; 23 February 2017, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X