AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs Shipping 2 March, Pre-Order Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    From the AMD benches, it looks like a 4Ghz Ryzen core is about on par with a 3.7Ghz Broadwell core for single-threaded code.

I expect Kabylake can probably match that with 3.5 Ghz, and since you can buy them into the 4Ghz+ range I think Intel will continue to win the single-threaded benchmarks for the most part.

This is a huge improvement for AMD, though, and it looks like the pricing will put them in a good position. Especially with the server/workstation market where Intel is selling these Broadwell parts it looks like Ryzen could crush them.
    From what I saw (benchmarks) it suggests that it is on pair with Broadwell with much lower TDP on Ryzen side, from where did you get those numbers? I think as usual, AMD vs Intel will come down to specific tasks (some Intel does better, some AMD).

Comment

Oh, why i always like to watch videos also

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonB View Post
        2) Intel prices to drop so I can upgrade my son's computer.
        Not gonna happen.

Comment

I do wonder if that XFR thing will really matter at the end of the day if people manually overclock their CPU, and if all the CPU's perform approximately the same in overclocking.. It will be interesting to see if thats the case because I really don't want to be buying a $499USD CPU just to get those higher clock rates.

Comment

Originally posted by wazoo42 View Post
            Thanks for the update and tip sent. I have 6 computers working on computational quantum mechanics and am curious to know how Ryzen fares with DGEMM.
            Why is DGEMM so important to computational quantum mechanics (I worked in experimental HEP for years)? In my limited experience sparse matrix multiplication is much more useful than largest dense matrix multiplication. I'm not trying to argue, I really want to find cases where large DGEMM is useful. I spend a fair amount of time writing my own DGEMM code with x86.

I'm rally excited for Ryzen with eight cores/16 threads. I fear Intel may release AVX512 shortly after. Four cores with AVX512 is sorta has the same peak FLOPS)as eight cores with AVX2 (all else being equal) but on average eight cores/AVX2 would still be better.

Comment

Newegg has 20 AM4 boards out for pre-order. (8) X370 boards have already sold out their pre-allocation.

The 1700X is here:

Buy Used - Like New: AMD Ryzen 7 1st Gen - RYZEN 7 1700 Summit Ridge (Zen) 8-Core 3.0 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1700BBAEBOX Desktop Processor with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

The 1800X is here:

Buy Used - Like New: AMD Ryzen 7 1st Gen - RYZEN 7 1700 Summit Ridge (Zen) 8-Core 3.0 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1700BBAEBOX Desktop Processor with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

it will be mostly reviewers buying those out is my suspicion. Most people are already rocking intel hardware and won't be migrating. I have a 5820k which is fine, I'm certainly interesting in Ryzen but will wait until a metric truckload of analysis has been done on the mobos and cpus first (like 3-4months from now).

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  it will be mostly reviewers buying those out is my suspicion. Most people are already rocking intel hardware and won't be migrating. I have a 5820k which is fine, I'm certainly interesting in Ryzen but will wait until a metric truckload of analysis has been done on the mobos and cpus first (like 3-4months from now).
                  Most big site reviewers don't actually have to pay for the hardware they review, instead they generally get one courtesy of the manufacturer and this case isn't any different. The review kit for Ryzen comes in a big wooden box that looks like this on the inside:

As for why we haven't seen any reviews just yet it's mostly to do with the fact that the review kits are only now being sent out and the people receiving them have to sign an NDA where they can only release their review when AMD gives them the go-ahead (usually a time and date stipulated by the NDA contract).

Comment

Loved the video.
                    Yes, just yes. Now I only hope there won't be any strange DRM stuff in it and that we'll see Coreboot/LibreCore for these nice CPUs. I'm absolutely convinced by the performance side, the price is great for these machines and energy efficiency looks more than reasonable esp. on Ryzen 7 1700.
                    And yes, I trust the benchmarks because Lisa is a real tech woman, studied real science, and is not a business clown. She talks about it, relates, debates - and I see she is convinced by their product and stands behind it.

And they'll have a lot of AM4 mainboards to choose from - so I hope I'll find something suitable (with lots of interfaces, some backward compatible interfaces and preferably Coreboot suitable for the future, mind those darn SuperIOs).

ECC support would be interesting, some compiling (loves multicore), Darktable benchmarks, video conversion, and yes, gaming, too. And I'd be very curious about possible ASICs (PSP? other units?), instruction sets (/proc/cpuinfo), and power consumption on idle, some average desktop load and full compilation on all cores.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      Maybe we can start with this Cinebench world record, Ryzen 7 1800X OC @ 5.2 GHz

Comment

Working...
                      X