Munich Said To Be Moving Away From Linux/LiMux, Back To Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    Reasons for not discriminating people you don't like? Having some basic manners and just plain politeness? It may be a bit hard for you to fathom that not liking the opinions and beliefs they hold is not a reason to just walk up and punch them when that "anti"-fascist punched Richard Spencer.
    That's an obvious case of "going out of your way to hurt someone", already said above. Discrimination happens on things where what you are doing isn't going against other laws or rules you uphold, like for example taking seats on a bus, or acting more cold and detached when talking to them.

The thing about religion is that like political ideologies, it comes with quite a few things that you need to believe to be a follower of said religion. Treating someone differently because of their religion is treating them differently for what they believe and what you believe is completely up to you.
    Technically speaking no, it's coded into laws and constitutions that you should not make discriminations based on a person's own opinions (as long as they don't matter with the job at hand). And as you said above it's also "basic manners and plain politeness".

This really is the crux of the matter. Racism is treating people differently because of things they never had a choice in.
    And discriminating people because of their personal choices is better? Please tell me more.

The worst thing you can actually call treating people differently because of what they've chosen to believe is elitism
    Technically speaking, yes. In practice it's pretty much the same though, people won't change their mind because you discriminate them, so you end in a similar situation.

and even that rings rather hollow when it's based on facts like if they believe gay people should be allowed to live in peace or if they should be stoned to death (which is what Muslims believe as the Koran says so).
    the Quran itself is relatively soft about that (is more or less on par with Christian's Bible, also because they are cloning the story about Sodom and Gomorrah from the Bible, with a different name), what goes harshly against homosexuality is in later texts (hadiths, created centuries after the prophet died) http://islam.stackexchange.com/quest...-homosexuality

Anyway, even if "Quran said so" does not mean the muslim guy also thinks the same. Believing into a religion does not turn you in a drone of a swarm-mind.
    If the person is homophobic then that's fair game, shooting on all muslims at random is not.
    There are progressive muslims, gay muslims (yes, for real), and whatever. Religions are arbitrary fiction, they can be revised if their user base requires it (this is happening with older ones like Christian Catholic), and as said above there is ample space to do this change in that religion too.

As I just said, bashing someone on their own choices is vastly different to bashing people based on arbitrary characteristics outside of their control. Just like how you can go from being a capitalist to being a communist you can go from being a Muslim to being an Atheist. The fact that you don't want to do that doesn't make bashing what you've chosen to believe somehow racist.
    Lol, this is awesome. So the theoretical ability to comply to your will makes your act of discrimination less bad? What makes you think that you have the power to decide that such thing is bad and administer a sentence to punish it?

I see we're running into the usual anti-science attitude people like you have where you reject all science that doesn't support your beliefs.
    WAT?
    I talked of actual historical beliefs on which racism was (and still is) based on. Retrograde hogwash on average.

Research has shown that on average black people have lower IQ scores than white people (who in term have a lower average IQ than Asians who in turn have a lower score than Jews). This research does not say that all black people are less intelligent than white people, it just says the average black person has a lower IQ score than the average white person. However the same research also shows that all racial groups have a rather high average deviation, meaning that every racial group has both geniuses and morons among them invalidating the idea that it would suggest all the members of one group would be smarter than the members of another group.
    Nice research but unless it was done on toddlers or worldwide or they took pains to select only people with same economical standing and history, I'd say it yelded inconclusive results.
    Given that intelligence of an adult being is influenced by other factors like for example what education you received, and assuming they took the US as base of this study (as it's always the US for some reason), it's not a surprising result.
    Poorer people tend to perform worse in IQ tests (well-known), and black people tend to be more poor than whites in the US due to historical and modern-day racism.

To once repeat the point that I've made twice already: You don't get to chose your race, but you do get to chose what you believe in. If you don't like being a particular race you can't go and change it, but your your beliefs are probably the most malleable thing about a person.
    Psychologists and anyone that has some experience in convincing people will probably disagree. Sure you can change someone's opinion on low-importance things, but on stuff they care about... it's not easy, if possible at all.

Meanwhile people like Micheael Jackson changed his "race" (external appearance anyway) with surgery and skin treatments.

Also Einstein (that has nothing to do with anything here, so he has no authority but sounds cool) said "It is harder to crack prejudice than an atom."
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 11 February 2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
      Well, this is what government typically does - wasting people's money
      Government wants this, it will happen. Sorry, the power is not with you and never will be. Politicians may have some king of agreement with Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        That's an obvious case of "going out of your way to hurt someone", already said above. Discrimination happens on things where what you are doing isn't going against other laws or rules you uphold, like for example taking seats on a bus, or acting more cold and detached when talking to them.
        Yes, you can discriminate by using perfectly legal methods, but not liking someone still doesn't mean that you're going to act out on it. Not going out and treating people who are different to you differently is just something commonly referred to as "tolerance" and there's a reason why it's a separate word and not part of "acceptance".

Technically speaking no, it's coded into laws and constitutions that you should not make discriminations based on a person's own opinions (as long as they don't matter with the job at hand). And as you said above it's also "basic manners and plain politeness".
        You're mixing up freedom of speech laws with anti-disrimination laws. Most governments of democratic countries are not allowed to restrict the freedom of speech of their citizen, but this does not apply to the citizen of these countries. As for anti-discrimination laws, they specifically prohibit discrimination based on race, gender and sexual orientation, but they don't apply to beliefs and opinions held by people. It's still perfectly legal to discriminate based on personal beliefs by saying that the person holding it wouldn't fit in with the other people working there.

And discriminating people because of their personal choices is better? Please tell me more.
        I know you may find this a bit difficult to understand, but there's a very big difference between treating someone different for something they've chosen to do out of their own free will and treating them different because of something they had no say in or power over.

Technically speaking, yes. In practice it's pretty much the same though, people won't change their mind because you discriminate them, so you end in a similar situation.
        Treating people differently because of what they've chosen to do is generally not something you do to change their mind. It's generally just acting out on your own social conscience.

Anyway, even if "Quran said so" does not mean the muslim guy also thinks the same. Believing into a religion does not turn you in a drone of a swarm-mind.
        If the person is homophobic then that's fair game, shooting on all muslims at random is not.
        The problem with that is that Pew Research did do a study where they polled Muslims and asked them about their beliefs on subjects like pre-marital sex, divorce, abortion and homosexuality. What they found out was that Muslims around the world are very strongly set against gay rights and considering homosexuality to be "immoral". In middle eastern countries like Iraq, Tunisia, Lebanon and Palestine anti-gay sentiments were held by as many as 92% of respondents, South Asian respondents in countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan also went as high as 92% while respondents in Southeast Asian countries like Malaysia and Indonesia went as high as 100%. Central Asian respondents from countries like Turkey and Kazakhstan went as high as 90%, Southeast European respondents from countries like Albania, Kosovo and Bosnia-Herzegovina went as high as 92% and finally respondents from countries like Nigeria, Chad, Mali and Senegal in sub-Saharan Africa went as high as 98%.

There are progressive muslims, gay muslims (yes, for real), and whatever. Religions are arbitrary fiction, they can be revised if their user base requires it (this is happening with older ones like Christian Catholic), and as said above there is ample space to do this change in that religion too.
        While people can chose to not believe in certain parts of holy scriptures (most Muslims still do believe in the anti-gay parts of the Koran) they're still the holy scriptures and religious dogma very much prohibit them from making any kind of changes to them. These holy scriptures are literally the word of god. If the word of god is that being gay is a punishable act, then this is final and any decision to not believe in it is in itself an act of hypocrisy.

This is really the crux of the matter. The only way you can be a Muslim and not homophobe is by being a hypocrite. Also, as I just pointed out, the "moderate Muslim" is a rather rare beast on the grand scale of things.

Lol, this is awesome. So the theoretical ability to comply to your will makes your act of discrimination less bad? What makes you think that you have the power to decide that such thing is bad and administer a sentence to punish it?
        I know this may be a hard concept for you to understand, but there is a difference between not liking someone because of something that was never within their control and not liking them because of something they've knowingly done. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't go around telling people it's wrong to not like a child molester, specially if they don't regret molesting all the children they've molested? Because just like treating people differently on what they've chosen to believe, that is treating someone differently because of their own choices.

Nice research but unless it was done on toddlers or worldwide or they took pains to select only people with same economical standing and history, I'd say it yelded inconclusive results.
        Sure, that might be something worth looking into if there weren't other studies on the subject and there actually was a study quite a few years ago where they tested black children adopted into white middle class families against children born into the same kind of families.

Can you guess what the result was? There was still a difference in average IQ. A slightly lesser difference, but still a difference that favored white children. Don't even try to say that the adoption screwed up the results as another study with similar tests done on non-adopted children that were young enough that social differences haven't started manifesting came up with the exact same results.

I know that your political conviction forces you to reject any non-superficial differences between races like average IQ scores, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Psychologists and anyone that has some experience in convincing people will probably disagree. Sure you can change someone's opinion on low-importance things, but on stuff they care about... it's not easy, if possible at all.
        I never said it was easy to change someone's beliefs if they don't want to, I just pointed out that for person themselves it's very easy to change their beliefs. This is very much unlike race, gender and sexual orientation which cannot be changed no matter how hard the individual wants to change these aspects about themselves.
        Last edited by L_A_G; 11 February 2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Germans, honestly I'm not a bit surprised. Their selfishness shows in many aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
            Long story short - in my mind - corrupted and under-qualified people made those decisions. We get them everywhere, everywhere! but a bit of surprise to me was: Germany?
            German politicians are for sure quite korrupt, lobbyists have a very strong influence here.

The statements of the responsible politicians show no technical expertise. For sure it is only about politics, there are no compelling technical reasons for this decision.
            Interesting is also that they conceal the costs of the back migration (I wonder why ).

mike44
            Really from outside it looks like so? Can you elaborate in which aspects?

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
              Germans, honestly I'm not a bit surprised. Their selfishness shows in many aspects.
              Yes, every German is the most selfish person in the world. Aristoteles knew it. Caesar knew it. Jesus knew it.

Comment

Just noticed a related article at golem.de: https://www.golem.de/news/microsoft-...02-126133.html
                pointing to this blog entry: https://blogs.windows.com/business/2...e-innovations/

So the NSA has approved Win10 for classified government use. Now the way is free to use spyOS 10 in all governmental institutions.
                I mean its the NSA, we must trust them...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  I'm always fond of pulling the example of "vagina" which in english (and other languages) is used for, well you know what. For Ancient Romans (people talking in latin anyway) "vagina" is the scabbard, a sheath for bladed weapons.
                  Interesting in swedish we have the word "slida" that also has the same two meanings.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post

Same thing happened here in Brazil. The government changed, the people in power bend over to the US, and now they're changing all government computers from Linux to Windows 10. It's sad.
                    What does the US government have to do with the policies of the government of Brazil? Seems like you are looking for somrbody yo blame. Might it not be better to admit that Linux user space sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

What does the US government have to do with the policies of the government of Brazil? Seems like you are looking for somrbody yo blame. Might it not be better to admit that Linux user space sucks!
                      You don't understand. Some people here bend over to the US, because the US has interests in a lot of areas of Brazil (like water, oil), and instead of invading it and taking the resources to them (like they always do) all they have to do is slip some coins to the sellouts here and they have what they want.

Comment

Working...
                      X