Munich Said To Be Moving Away From Linux/LiMux, Back To Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
    And I'd question, or disagree with how they call it - evolution - Aas we know by looking back at the greatest evolution of all, we would expect quite the opposite, I would.
    Please note, "evolution" does not automatically imply "things getting better" (in biology and other sciences, linguistics included). As a general rule, there is no "better" in natural processes like this, random changes are called "evolution".

And yes, things change but when you have complete control over that process of change you strive to make that change for better.
    Yeah right, total control over a language's evolution means you have mind control over a nation. Good luck with that.

Let me give you an example, but I'm sure you see this everywhere:
    When a given language is foreign.
    There is language which with its vocabulary expresses all sorts of things, everything. But its native speakers, for all the obvious reasons I've suggested before, will just not resort to that vocabulary when they are confronted with a foreign language, so they... you basically end up hearing them using "alien" words or pharases even though you know, they know they don't have to, it's already there, language already had it for them and! during that they talk between selves, only one language's native speakers.
    I'm unsure about what you mean here. You mean people that adopt different sayings, words and accents within the same nation? That's because everyone thinks the words they have are not good enough, too long/complex/simple/short/bad-sounding/whatever.

None has control over a language, so it is always in a state of flux, it never is a standard. What words you see in dictionaries are just a snapshot of a process, language 50 years before was slightly different, and more and more different as you go in the past.

So there were no linguists when we needed them, most, to name a "new" phenomena.
    There is no need of linguists to give original names.

Thus now, we will be calling each other "racist" every other day. (well, hopeful not all of people)
    Only those that discriminate people or think they are worse because of dumb reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Racism is a rather specific belief that one or more races are better than others. It doesn't necessarily even need to include discrimination based on this.
      Yeah right, racism without discrimination. Totally logic. If you think you are more worthy than another guy can you please explain why you should not discriminate him if given the opportunity (say, when choosing seats in a train)? It's a very logic consequence, does not need to be explained. Of course you won't go out of your way to hurt him, but we are talking on a larger scale than just a couple dudes interacting randomly once in a lifetime.

people like you insist that criticism and mockery of collections of ideas, which is what all religions are at the fundamental level, is somehow racist.
      I always talked of discrimination of PEOPLE so please learn to fucking read plz.
      If you discriminate people just because they have a religion ("random bullshit reason"), and not because of something they actually do that is actually wrong then you can be called "racist" by people using it with its modern meaning.

If you are just posting generic anti-religion rants on teh internetz ok you are not discriminating people, but it's a kinda pointless waste of time.

Seriously thou, calling someone "racist" for bashing the population of a country or a collection of ideas is essentially the same as calling Windows "Linux".
      Not as much as you think. Bashing people that you don't know, that are grouped only by (not even that close) proximity is plain retrograde bullshit from the dark ages same as thinking that all black people have somewhat smaller brain or something.

As I said, "racism" is "discrimination because of perceived race", which is a subset of "discrimination" that always works the same (you think you are better than someone because of a reason, and act wrongly towards people, fueled by this belief).

As for the "collection of ideas" thing, you are either ranting alone in a blog (then it's ok, but see above) or you are interacting with people, in the latter case the above still applies.

Comment

Oh.. I thought modern definition of racism is white man discrimination, prejudice and hatred towards other races.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Afaik, Linux was working fine for them. It was only when they had to share documents with other authorities that they were requested to submit MS Office formats that gave them headaches. So yes, breaking free from Microsoft is hard.
          See, that's illegal. In EU, there is legislation in place that says that authorities can not decline a document in ODT format or request a MS format. If that indeed happened, they should have declined and requested that the authorities update their software (= install LibreOffice on the side if need be, it's free) to fall in line with the legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

See, that's illegal. In EU, there is legislation in place that says that authorities can not decline a document in ODT format or request a MS format. If that indeed happened, they should have declined and requested that the authorities update their software (= install LibreOffice on the side if need be, it's free) to fall in line with the legislation.
            It's been a few years since I heard it, so details are a little muddy now...

Comment

LiMux is based on Ubuntu LTS, complemented with packages that are not in the repository or custom built for specific reasons.

Comment

Libreoffice has awful docx support. I have a lot of complex docx files that show correctly with google docs but shit with libreoffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post

Same thing happened here in Brazil. The government changed, the people in power bend over to the US, and now they're changing all government computers from Linux to Windows 10. It's sad.
                  That is not true. I work for government for the last 7 yeas and never see a computer using linux. In the university that a studied had linux pcs just for students uses, at the departments the use of windows was always absolute majority. Unfortunately open source software was never used at large scale at Brazilians bureaucracy.

The actual administration just made a call to buy software that agencies already buy alone to buy them together to have lower costs. Free software still being use where it has been using for the last 10 yeas.
                  Still have some problem at linux adoption in governments:
                  People do not want to learn something new. Where there are LibreOffice suite, they complain a lot about it.

I use opensource software at my computers for the last twelve years, but unfortunately, I have to say that open source software has a lot evolve end the communities are not helping that to happen. Vanity and politics do not let opensource software gain ground at the market.

Interoperability still is a big issue to Libreoffice. I am having problems with that in a pc that a ask to install it for my use at work.

But for Munich administration, there is WPS Office that I tested and seemed to be a very nice Office suite with better capability to work with open xml microsoft formats.

Comment

You all keep using the term racism, when you mean Xenophobia. At least in an American context, racism has to do with broad racial groups. Xenophobia is used to describe in group/out group phenomenon; including ethnicity, culture, religion, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by marciosr View Post

That is not true. I work for government for the last 7 yeas and never see a computer using linux. In the university that a studied had linux pcs just for students uses, at the departments the use of windows was always absolute majority. Unfortunately open source software was never used at large scale at Brazilians bureaucracy.

The actual administration just made a call to buy software that agencies already buy alone to buy them together to have lower costs. Free software still being use where it has been using for the last 10 yeas.
                      Still have some problem at linux adoption in governments:
                      People do not want to learn something new. Where there are LibreOffice suite, they complain a lot about it.

I use opensource software at my computers for the last twelve years, but unfortunately, I have to say that open source software has a lot evolve end the communities are not helping that to happen. Vanity and politics do not let opensource software gain ground at the market.

Interoperability still is a big issue to Libreoffice. I am having problems with that in a pc that a ask to install it for my use at work.

But for Munich administration, there is WPS Office that I tested and seemed to be a very nice Office suite with better capability to work with open xml microsoft formats.
                      I guess that depend the sector in which you work with. I've worked for a few public universities and they all had Linux running the servers (huge servers, it's a beautiful thing. Most were running CentOS, a few running Debian) and a few terminals running Ubuntu. However, for a lot of the students they had Windows 7 Pro installed on the machines I think, but I didn't actually see them running, all I could see is every PC had a sticker with a Windows 7 Pro KEY.

Comment

Working...
                      X