KDE Plasma Leaning Towards Focusing On Flatpak Over AppImage/Snaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FishPls View Post

According to the official Snap documentation that doesn't seem true: https://snapcraft.io/docs/core/usage
    How do they resolve conflicts? I've got GIMP installed from the distro repository and also GIMP from a flatpak repository, both are "gimp". I think that's the reason why Flatpak doesn't allow you to execute apps directly. There may even be conflicts within one flatpak repo. You can have different branches, e.g. Firefox nightly, aurora, stable, esr. They all contain an app of the same name. Flatpak allows you to use a parameter that sets which branch to use when you run "flatpak run org.Mozilla.Firefox".

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness

No, it's not, retard.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Since you are too stupid, to follow the link yourself (in typical Canonical fanboy tradition), here's the content:

See what happened to Snap after Canonical announced cross-distro support

You link to a Reddit thread where the Link gets deleted.
      Then you insult the users pointing out its Not working.

Ist this the Moral high behaviour the Linux community wants to be recognized for? Ist this showing how bad Canonical is?

Since no one is standing up against this, it shows this is the prefered behaviour of the Linux community. I dont see where Canonical is the bad one in here. I even wonder why they keep investing and working on the ubuntu and other projects when the "better rest of the community" is showing this behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post

Ist this the Moral high behaviour the Linux community wants to be recognized for? Ist this showing how bad Canonical is?

Since no one is standing up against this, it shows this is the prefered behaviour of the Linux community. I dont see where Canonical is the bad one in here. I even wonder why they keep investing and working on the ubuntu and other projects when the "better rest of the community" is showing this behaviour.
        The link might be dead and he should *definitely* watch his tone, but he's correct in saying that currently Snap is only maintained for Ubuntu and Debian. On Arch it's out-of-date, on Fedora it's been removed in Fedora 25 and on openSUSE the build fails.
        What's your take on that?
        Last edited by Vistaus; 09 February 2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
          Nothing got deleted. The Reddit link loads just fine. And since you're such a retard, you didn't even see that I posted a copy the link's contents here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...750#post930750

Comment

Nothing got deleted. The Reddit link loads just fine. And since you're such a retard, you didn't even see that I posted a copy the link's contents here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...750#post930750
            Awesomeness stop with the personal attacks against others, people are complaining about your posts in this thread.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Oh really? http://i.imgur.com/UMODx7O.png
              Last edited by LinAGKar; 09 February 2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sesivany View Post

How do they resolve conflicts? I've got GIMP installed from the distro repository and also GIMP from a flatpak repository, both are "gimp". I think that's the reason why Flatpak doesn't allow you to execute apps directly. There may even be conflicts within one flatpak repo. You can have different branches, e.g. Firefox nightly, aurora, stable, esr. They all contain an app of the same name. Flatpak allows you to use a parameter that sets which branch to use when you run "flatpak run org.Mozilla.Firefox".
                I believe on Ubuntu either Snaps or regular packages are favored over each other, not sure which way it is though. So if you have two packages with the same name it'll always use the Snap one for example by default.

Regarding different branches, what I get from reading the Snap documentation is that by default it launches the Stable stream program, and you can control that using the --channel=[whateverchannelyouwant] commandline option. So basically typing firefox would open firefox stable. Typing firefox --channel=beta would launch the beta channel firefox.

To be honest, I like this system a lot. I'm assuming a setting will be provided for choosing over which ones (snaps or packages) are opened by default. It's not overly verbose, even if that is because of the central repo integration. Of course, if flatpak can be used in the same way I'll be fine with it. But I really don't want to have to create scripts for pretty basic functionality, such as program launching.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Awesomeness stop with the personal attacks against others, people are complaining about your posts in this thread.
                  I call out liars for what they are and when they claim that Snap was actually working across distributions (which is nothing but Canonical PR lies), I tell it how it is. Considering that you tolerate trolls all the time, it's amusing you are now targeting me who is telling nothing but the truth.

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                  Really! http://imgur.com/KXYDCqG Considering that the post was downvoted by Ubuntu fanboys after I posted it here, it's obvious it was accessible before.

Since I already copied the post's contents here, everyone can verify my comments regarding Snap's cross-distribution claims.

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
                    I prefer the decentralized nature of AppImages better, but KDE would certainly have a hard time packaging that way because of the large shared dependencies many of their applications have..
                    Do you know this for a fact or do you just blindly assume this? One goal of the KDE Frameworks (KF) as of late has been to split "KDE" into small pieces, so that applications don't have dependencies on a large set of libraries if they use only certain functionality.

Look at Krita: Most users are not "KDE users" or not even Linux users. In fact, their Windows version has by far the most downloads. With AppImage, they can now distribute Krita to all Linux users, and users can just download one file and run the application.

Similarly KDevelop, digiKam.

If you look at the download sizes, the AppImage is very comparable to the Mac and Windows versions.

Comment

Awesomeness, if you talk on reddit like here, i have an idea why everyone down voted you. Its not about the facts you provide or that all against you, its because you has absolutely no social skills. So, if you want that someone listen to you, you should not call them "retards" or "liars".

Comment

Working...
                      X