Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo Developer: Is The Linux Desktop Less Secure Than Windows 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post

Define "lots".
    Saying "more than kde" isn't a good definition.
    Griffin is phoronix resident gnome troll when he's not at playschool

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

No, last I checked VLC was the default backend since Plasma 5.
      Good to know. It seems it's time for Kubuntu to make it default.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchFanatic View Post
        If you care about Security u should run Windows 10, if you care about Privacy & Performance u should use linux...
        Windows 10 is one of the most insecure and broken by design operating systems ever. How is it secure in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          If you listen to the grsecurity guy, also Linux's ASLR is pretty much pointless, btw.
          Thanks for the information. Hopefully they'll listen to grsecurity and make it better. Ps. FreeBSD has the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post
            I'm not sure how this is all that debatable - Windows is taking certain security measures that most Linux distributions are not. ASLR in particular seems like something that should have been enabled everywhere a long time ago.
            Windows has history of being most insecure OS out here. So yes, it's hardly debatable. Furthermore, it's closed source crap, so you can only believe they care about your security.

Comment

Thanks for the laugh Hanno, I'll be sure to avoid Gentoo =p

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Stay away from Windows please. We have to sue that stuff at work and it sucks bad. You are just as likely to have your machine crash from a MS bug than a virus. Personally for "desktop" like usage I use a Mac and Linux for everything else. While some turn up their nose to Mac OS it is a fairly complete UNIX platform and supports good apps in way Linux doesn't do well.
                a. unix LIKE platform. It's proprietary system in core. You dont know how it was modified
                b. It's not linux doesn't support programs, it's programs don't support linux.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Stay away from Windows please. We have to sue that stuff at work and it sucks bad. You are just as likely to have your machine crash from a MS bug than a virus. Personally for "desktop" like usage I use a Mac and Linux for everything else. While some turn up their nose to Mac OS it is a fairly complete UNIX platform and supports good apps in way Linux doesn't do well.
                  OS X isn't any better over Windows. It's also insecure, proprietary and what's more important legacy shit which is hardly an UNIX. It's also damn slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

OS X isn't any better over Windows. It's also insecure, proprietary and what's more important legacy shit which is hardly an UNIX. It's also damn slow.
                    Actually,all OSX versions since version 10.5 (except for 10.7) are certified UNIX03. As for insecure : not much more than any other OS... I'd say better than windows at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

I suppose my experience predisposes me to broken machines and I had always just chalked it off to that, but I always thought OSX felt slow too! Like it's working hard just to work. It reminded me of XP on a Willamette P4.

Comment

Working...
                      X