Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo Developer: Is The Linux Desktop Less Secure Than Windows 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juno View Post
    You do know that installers run with higher privileges when you install apps on android or iOS, right? It's the same like using a package manager, only that it doesn't ask you for a password.
    FYI Android apps don't get total permissions to do whatever the fuck they want on installation, they can only place themselves in /data partitions or other places that can be nuked also by the phone's user, and if the system rejects some of their requirements they either can't be installed or don't work afterwards.

Can I remind you that to install some root-only stuff I need to reboot into recovery and use that unsecured environment to install things? Because there is no way in hell that the OS lets me do it from within.

If the Android way seems so nice to you, go ahead and assign a unix user for each app. Restrict the rights, easy.
    Android is a bit more extreme than that, they are actually using SELinux policies to lock down stuff while even more "safe" distros with Apparmor and SELinux have laughably weak policies.
    Also, that still does not solve the issue of root access on install.

Or just use android-x86
    Is more unstable than Win XP pre-SP1, nuff said.

You can also maintain your own distribution. Spread it, if people agree with you, you should have plenty users. But once and for all, don't blame the kernel, which has nothing to do with it. At all.
    I'm talking of "linux distros", not of "linux".

You must be very blinded by ideology if you don't know about security problems due to exploits on those systems.
    I demand proof. Please show me some proof of this. I've yet to see ANYONE complain about true malware attacks on Android on the internet (most stuff is dumb shit that spams popups but all apps can do that too anyway) on scales that makes that anywhere as bad as it is on Windows.

I also never had malware issues on gnu/linux without antivirus, neither do I know from people this happened to, so I don't really get your point here.
    Only a goddamn retard would even think about targeting Linux desktop as it's tiny marketshare. Hell even MacOS is "secure" because it's not really a target even if Apple's security has always been meh on average. Linux server on the other hand... that's another thing alltogether.

Also, av don't necessarily make the system more secure. Today's products are more likely to cause more problems instead of preventing users from harm.
    Bullshit products always existed, they are not a good reason to say that the whole category is bad. Windows won't last a month with a normal user without a decent AV software.

Sure my gaming rig has no AV, but it's a PURE gaming rig, so it has games, Steam, Teamviewer, and nothing else AT ALL, and I never use it to browse the internet.

I don't know which software you use, but any sanely developed desktop application does store configuration or data in sane locations, like the user's home.
    Let's not open this can of worms please. /home is a big fucking place and you have configs all over, it's just hidden by default so you don't panic, but it's a fucking mess. Some are in a folder, some are in .config folder, some are wherever else.

If you use apps that need privileges and put trash in your entire rootfs, you should maybe consider stop using crapware and not blame the victim, your system for it
    Do you never install or update applications in your Linux system? Because that is 1st source of infection regardless of OS, as installation/update gives them root access. If on windows applications didn't need admin access to be installed you'd be cutting down standard-issue malware stuff by A LOT.

Since the main defence of Linux desktop currently is its low marketshare, it might be a good idea to get a decently safer system if it wants to expand.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 February 2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, Windows has added crashing as a service!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I don't understand why no Linux distribution gives me the power to control the program I run on it
        When it comes to privacy, I can't control which programs are allowed access devices like Webcam and mike, DVD drive, pendrive, etc...
        There's no protection for proprietary programs.
        Firejail does exactly these things.

Every time a program asks for my root password I fear that it will break my system completely, maybe it wants to format all my hard drives and I lose all my personal files.
        Then don't give it the root pw. You should be able to install a proprietary program into a user's home dir, all done inside a sandbox to limit access to just the installation directory. If it doesn't give you that option, you can always try fooling it with overlayfs, or just work in a container.

Everything is allowed by default.
        How is that secure?
        Because defaults are there to work for most things but to be changed when needed.

Comment

I'm not sure how this is all that debatable - Windows is taking certain security measures that most Linux distributions are not. ASLR in particular seems like something that should have been enabled everywhere a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            Meanwhile, Windows has added crashing as a service!

Crashing as a service? About time they caught up with Linux on that feature.

Alt + SysRq + c = Kernel panic

Should maybe mention it's disabled by default. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Yeah right. Why more modern systems like say Android or iOS let me install applications without requiring root access?
              While it may not require root to install, it require root access to RUN the app every time it is executed...

Comment

Code:
                sudo apt-get install firejail
                and then make a private directory for everything you want to run that has Internet access. Very easy to do, doesn't generally change the functionality of the apps (other than open/save paths) and significantly restricts possible attack vectors and the damage that can be done. Can install applications under ~/opt/<whatever> and use a pre-exec hook script to bind mount that directory into the firejail private directory mounted R/O with bindfs.

All application launches can be done without root, without custom /etc/fuse.conf configuration, etc. The application thinks the user home directory is completely empty except for its own files and possibly the program file (which is read-only). No suid things can be executed, generally firejail's default profiles will prevent access (and visibility) to files under /usr/bin that it doesn't require, various unsafe Linux kernel capabilities are blocked, etc. I've been using it for a long time now with great success.

Not installed by default obviously, but the packages are in the Stretch repo so it's only a command away.

Comment

I have to say, I agree a bit about Android. In my case, I really liked the ability in CyanogenMod to easily change the permissions of an app. A quick example of this, albeit not for security, was one (proprietary) app played a sound when started, but I didn't like that, especially since I have the one-application-playing-a-sound-at-a-time policy set up, so I removed audio from the app permissions and it never bothered me again. Having sane permissions per app set by packagers, and easily changeable by the admin, would be great

I will look at this firejail, seems interesting!

Comment

Firejail is really good. I heartily recommend it :+1:

Comment

And yet, Windows is currently having an invasion of "Ransomware".
                      You open a JavaScript file on Windows, it will run it automatically - infected.
                      You download an attachment, it can be executed by default - infected.
                      You open Word or Excel file(.xls, .xlsm), Visual Basic code can be executed automatically - infected.

By design it has more serious flaws that are very easy to exploit.

Comment

Working...
                      X