Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces Git Virtual File-System (GVFS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tell me bug77 why are you so butthurt when MS does something good? are you always this negative? have you tried being nice and thinking "Hey some devs just made something better"

Comment

Good stuff. Since it's open source, MS can't control any of the forks. So whether MS wrote it or not is irrelevant, but I'm glad they are opensource-friendly now.

Comment

And thats how you fix horrible git performance on windows. Because doing it properly probably not really possible.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
          What idiot decided that putting 3.5M files into a single repo is a good idea?
          M$

Comment

Interesting to see the butthurt losers like bug77 whining and screaming about open source software that appears to be solving some real-world problems.
            I'm sure he has an ego the size of a small (or large) continent but has probably never actually even used git, much less worked on a real software project.

But go ahead and insult open source software developers who actually did something while you sit on your ass pretending to be better than everyone else.
            Incidentally, since this update is basically using principles that are similar to demand paging and copy-on-write (on read in this case), please stop using any operating system or filesystem that uses those concepts since your ego has declared them to be beneath you. Nobody here will miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              Interesting to see the butthurt losers like bug77 whining and screaming about open source software that appears to be solving some real-world problems.
              I'm sure he has an ego the size of a small (or large) continent but has probably never actually even used git, much less worked on a real software project.

But go ahead and insult open source software developers who actually did something while you sit on your ass pretending to be better than everyone else.
              Incidentally, since this update is basically using principles that are similar to demand paging and copy-on-write (on read in this case), please stop using any operating system or filesystem that uses those concepts since your ego has declared them to be beneath you. Nobody here will miss you.
              It's precisely because I use git that I appreciate being able to compare a file to any of its versions at any time. And I like it this way.
              I did not make this about MS, I don't care who wrote the code, this just looks like a bad idea.

And about "real-world problems", if git could handle the linux kernel for all these years, I can't imagine there's a significant number of projects it won't handle.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

not so, you don't *need* to have every single revision ever, and I can definitely understand the need for it.
                What would be the advantage compared to this?
                Code:

git clone --depth 1 path/to/repo.git

Comment

The name might get a bit confusing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GVfs

Comment

Doesn't this kind of break the "distributed" premise of git? If the one server dies, you loose your data, like it was before decentralized SCMs...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                      Doesn't this kind of break the "distributed" premise of git? If the one server dies, you loose your data, like it was before decentralized SCMs...
                      Who cares? You get faster clones :P

Comment

Working...
                      X