Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FSF New "High Priority Projects" List: Phone OS, Security, Drivers, More Inclusivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    In any case, this list might actually mean something if GNU would put their money where their mouth is, but I'm pretty sure Michael is the only one that cares about their list at this point. If GNU cared they'd be actually working on these projects as opposed to waiting for someone else to come along and do them.
    They are putting their money where their mouth is. They just don't have a lot of money.

I believe in what the FSF stands for. But I also think that their strategy is ineffective. They view "free as in freedom" software licensing as a black and white issue, and think any use of proprietary software is as unacceptable as saying, "But we only torture some toddlers, so it's okay." The problem is, they can't even get most of the open source community to join them, let alone the broader tech industry. And the rest of the world doesn't even care to know enough about the issues to have an opinion.

How do you fix that? If every person in the world that paid $50 for a copy of Windows (without realizing it, in most cases), OS X, or iOS had put $10 into free software, proprietary software around the world would be dead by now. But I'm more likely to get a wish for a pet unicorn granted than to have that happen.

Comment

FSF needs RETROSHARE and RETROSHARE needs FSF only RS it's 3 points of the list....

www.retroshare.net
      RetroShare is a Free and Open Source cross-platform, Friend-2-Friend and secure decentralised communication platform. - RetroShare/RetroShare

A new version is coming soon, they need QT5 and C++ developers.
      Michale maybe one day you can talk about them, maybe when they release 0.6.2 versin in February

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        The problem is, they can't even get most of the open source community to join them, let alone the broader tech industry.
        On the contrary, they’ve already achieved an amazing amount. Who would have thought they would have got this far, when RMS first announced the GNU project back in the 1980s?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          This forum has an option to ignore users like this, ...
          But unfortunately the ignore list doesn't work all the time.
          E. g. Master5000 is on my ignore list, but I can see these posts.
          Last edited by drSeehas; 18 January 2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
            On the contrary, they’ve already achieved an amazing amount. Who would have thought they would have got this far, when RMS first announced the GNU project back in the 1980s?
            Really? On the order of 97% of consumer desktops run proprietary operating systems and of the last 3% many use proprietary drivers. Well over 99% of smart phones use proprietary firmware in their device drivers. The most popular video streaming services: Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime - are proprietary. Most people that game on Linux use the proprietary Steam service. Most home firewalls and routers run proprietary firmware. Most Internet-of-Garbage devices run proprietary software. Chrome, not Chromium, is the world's most popular web browser. Printers, set top boxes and DVRs, gaming consoles - all proprietary. Coreboot supports a few dozen motherboards, most run proprietary BIOS/UEFI. You have to go back years to purchase an AMD or Intel processor that doesn't have something like Intel's Management Engine or AMD's Platform Security Processor, which have embedded, difficult-to-remove proprietary code running on them.

Business software has shifted to using open source foundations. No question about that.

But consumers that want to operate without proprietary software everywhere have a pretty terrible set of options these days. 802.11n or slower wireless. Older motherboards and processors. A few hundred free software indie games instead of thousands of choices. The bare handful of phones supported by Replicant, and that's only partial support so on some devices you can't use the camera and on others you can't use the GPS. DVDs and not Blu Rays.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Many people are already using a free phone OS. Called illegally downloaded windows 10.
              Wrong, wrong and wrong.
              1. the phone OS is Windows 8
              2. stolen shit is not "free"
              3. most of those that crack the OS have already moved on to win10

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Wrong, wrong and wrong.
                1. the phone OS is Windows 8
                2. stolen shit is not "free"
                3. most of those that crack the OS have already moved on to win10
                To be pedantic, Microsoft has released Windows Phone 10 too. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/ (Scroll part way down.)

Not that anybody cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

To be pedantic, Microsoft has released Windows Phone 10 too. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/ (Scroll part way down.)

Not that anybody cares.
                  Lol, true dat. I'm pretty sure he means win10 desktop though.

It is a bit hard to run a cracked Win10 phone OS anywhere on unsupported hardware. not because of antipiracy, but because of usual mobile issues (blobs, blobs everywhere), and because it is for ARM processors.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
                    Phone OS will be (another total) waste of resources.
                    Replicant, Firefox OS, Mer and the likes are all doomed to the same fate.
                    As long as there won't be a really open hardware platform, the best they'll be able to do is an open source dress to a closed source mo old OS. Nothing more.
                    I really hope I'll be proved to be wrong, though the current signals aren't good.
                    ​​
                    Considering the effort with fdroid and the dominance of android, Replicant makes a lot of sense... providing I can still use binary firmware for certain components if someone absolutely needs it. Realistically, open hardware can be developed later, as long as there's first a solid and maintained platform/distro for it to work on first.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                      I definitely agree with the idea of an open source phone. We need an alternative to the hijacking the NSA/Chinese are doing of the mobile phone networks. It's too dangerous having the handset itself compromised. What we need is someone to start fabbing open source CPUs at least in a 23nm fab process.
                      Try Fairphone.

Comment

Working...
                      X