Richard Stallman: Goodbye to GNU Libreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
    Whether you call it illness or not, it is a dead end from evolutionary pov. As long as they are not allowed to adopt kids and indoctrinate them, they can be left alone
    So in one sentence, you claim being transgendered (or gender dysphoria?) is a genetic trait, and in the next, you claim it can be taught to kids.
    You just contradicted yourself in two sentences. Way to go. That takes real talent.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
      I wonder what's the drama ratio for non-open source projects compared to open-source projects.

But that might be a bit difficult to compare. For commercial projects, a manager can simply force a decision.

So I think we'd need to compare drama in open-source projects vs drama in commercial projects + bad management decisions forced in commercial projects.

I think open-source projects would come up better overall...

Yup, that's the trade-off: better steering vs more freedom. But it irks me to see many open source projects forked (and subsequently sunk) just because developers have big egos. Then again, we have Linux precisely because Linus' ego had a problem with Minix.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
        Even if you would consider identifying yourself as a transgender to be a mental illness there's no cure for it, and since it doesn't hurt anyone why not accept them and let them be a part of society without discrimination?
        If you want to play dress up and make believe, be my guest. Go for it, I won't try to talk you out of it. But don't demand that I participate in the charade. Live and let live.

The problem is in hate-filled SJW bigots demanding that the rest of humanity play along. Anyone who doesn't conform to their narrow minded world view is targeted and attacked. The SJWs are the Thought Police from the novel 1984.

Comment

To me, the real lesson is that regardless of the whining or sudden "withdrawal" of a project, it signifies nothing in an open source world. GNU could have kept GNU Libreboot, Leah could scream and cry all she wants, the choice wasn't up to her, and could never be up to a single person or institution. RMS is just being a gentleman in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by tinko View Post

1. Being a transgender person isn't a mental illness.
            2. I've yet to find a post from the libreboot maintainer calling for a celebration.
            3. SJW is a derogatory term, I'd not expect to find it in the post of someone who is interested in a genuine exchange of ideas.
            Regarding (1).... describing something as a mental illness, is NOT discriminatory. Please don't get yourself confused.

Fact is that if a transgendered person were to *force* themselves (which I am by no means advocating) into living a heterosexual lifestyle consistent with their *physical birth* gender, then their fertility rates would be consistent with the heterosexual population in general. That means that this... CHARACTERISTIC, is not a physical one. Well at least not in the sense of something like growing a third arm.

The other thing to be aware of, is that for something to be considered a mental illness, it doesn't need to be something that is learned -- it can actually be related to the physical structure of the brain. There are genetic factors that influence the structure of the brain, mental illness can even be due to injury/trauma. And yes, experiences, mental traumas, etc. can also lead to mental illness.

In other words, if the brain physically developed in a manner that is not consistent with their physical gender, this *still* qualifies as a mental illness.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Live and let live.
              ..said the person who insists that being transgendered is a mental illness and that a transgendered individual claiming discrimination is automatically a liar. (Yes, children, this a good example of hypocrisy.)

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

..said the person who insists that being transgendered is a mental illness and that a transgendered individual claiming discrimination is automatically a liar. (Yes, children, this a good example of hypocrisy.)
                I'm sorry but logically speaking, something cannot be branded as a fact, if there is not proof to brand it as a fact.

So if there is no proof to brand something as a fact or NOT as a fact, then by default you go to basic nature of things. Somebody is born as a male or a female then by default that certain individual is ought to live or practice his/her life according to that.

Who says this? Religion for a facts tells this, however not only religion says this, also atheism says this. What does atheism say? "Survival of the strongest". By default and from a logical perspective you see that individuals that go against their basic nature, are destined to die off. You could say ..the "bugs" human evolution. A bug is NOT a natural thing.

So all in all, if you are religious or an atheist on this matter both agree looking at the teachings of both the philosophies.

Now what do we say about these kind of things? He/she is demanding to live like that, i might object to that because children seeing things that are not natural and THINK it is natural..or with other words teaching the wrong to be right. However under secular law you will harm nobody, so we are living under secular law..you let the individual just live their life.

In the last couple of years, the whole LGBT-agenda is being pushed and pushed and pushed for people to accept them. This is like me saying, Pizza X YOU MUST EAT AND FIND IT DELICIOUS!!!

This is a similar case. This guy is demanding people to accept him as how he wants to be accepted if he does not get what he wants, then it i'll cause anarchy among society and community. What i see is a emotional unstable person. When you step in the world of professionalism, you keep your personal problems at home. (Drops the mic)

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

Regarding (1).... describing something as a mental illness, is NOT discriminatory. Please don't get yourself confused.

Fact is that if a transgendered person were to *force* themselves (which I am by no means advocating) into living a heterosexual lifestyle consistent with their *physical birth* gender, then their fertility rates would be consistent with the heterosexual population in general. That means that this... CHARACTERISTIC, is not a physical one. Well at least not in the sense of something like growing a third arm.

The other thing to be aware of, is that for something to be considered a mental illness, it doesn't need to be something that is learned -- it can actually be related to the physical structure of the brain. There are genetic factors that influence the structure of the brain, mental illness can even be due to injury/trauma. And yes, experiences, mental traumas, etc. can also lead to mental illness.

In other words, if the brain physically developed in a manner that is not consistent with their physical gender, this *still* qualifies as a mental illness.
                  I think the word you're looking for is gender dysphoria, i.e. when one's gender causes dysphoria. This is a mental illness and is regarded as one by the medical community.

Being trans-gendered is not the illness, but rather a conclusion of trying to mend the illness... Of course depending on who you ask, as this forum quite unpleasantly shows, this treatment method is controversial. But yes, an illness does exist, but with the treatment being the controversial point.

Side note, I'm told it's common in some arab countries to "fix" homosexuality via becoming trans-gendered, but that's another story.

Comment

Poor people with your religion, understand that religion was part of social engineering by advanced civilization who made experiments with us. All people are equal no matter what gender is.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

So in one sentence, you claim being transgendered (or gender dysphoria?) is a genetic trait, and in the next, you claim it can be taught to kids.
                      You just contradicted yourself in two sentences. Way to go. That takes real talent.
                      What? You seem to have trouble with understanding of text.. He never said that it's genetic trait - only that people with it cannot reproduce so they are "dead end".. Unless they indoctrinate someone else - then this harmful state of mind (yes it is harmful - by not reproducing, they are hurting our civilization) can spread. What's so hard about this to understand?

Comment

Working...
                      X