Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI 2.1 Announced: Looking Ahead To Dynamic HDR, 8K@60Hz, Variable Refresh Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just want to point out that GSync is a superior implementation, but NVidia like idiots decided to make it a Nvidia GPU only technology

Comment

4K@120Hz... that's nice
      I just hope now that the Hollywood idiots will start making movies filmed at at least 60 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        4K@120Hz... that's nice
        I just hope now that the Hollywood idiots will start making movies filmed at at least 60 FPS.
        Yeah, they should do 8K 120 fps videos that nobody can watch

Hardware companies would like people to buy new hardware on every next movie and on every next game... but things just does not work that way for majority
        Last edited by dungeon; 04 January 2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

The standard doesn't support this one specific feature therefore it's basically useless
          Yes, it does since 1.2.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            They released a single film in 48 FPS (the Hobbit) and people did not like it. It looked "too real". I fear we will have to live with 24 FPS for the next decades.

Comment

Isn't this expected in second half of 2017 so we may see HDMI 2.1 next Christmas.

Comment

I wonder whether VRR is mandatory in the HDMI 2.1 spec, if so then nvidia will almost certainly add support for HDMI 2.1 and we could probably use freesync monitors with nvidia gpu's instead of having to buy a gsync monitor. It is a shame that displayport 1.3 didn't add support for freesync instead it was released as displayport 1.2a i think and is optional. As a result freesync monitors cost a lot more than non-freesync monitors when often the only change is the scaler software.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  Just want to point out that GSync is a superior implementation, but NVidia like idiots decided to make it a Nvidia GPU only technology
                  Care to elaborate?

Comment

Hmm... says 4k@120; but judging by the bandwidth numbers you figure you could get 5k@144 (24bpp). Then again, this is assuming they mean 48gbps after error correction and overhead, hard to say.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                      Just want to point out that GSync is a superior implementation, but NVidia like idiots decided to make it a NVidia GPU only technology
                      What about GSync is superiour? It seems like the technologies are only superficially different; the ultimate effect is that frames can be sent somewhat asynchronously to the display, and that the display hardware will change the backlight intensity/pulse cycle to maintain luminance. Could you detail something that NVDA does differently?

Comment

Working...
                      X