X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdeleonp
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Well, that's all fine, but it pretty much already been proved pay per item doesn't work well with movies and music. Nobody wants to pay $1.99 for a single 24min episode of a tv series that will only ever be watched one time, and then have to do that all over again for every other episode, or have to pay $39.95 for the series bundle pack. It's completely retarded when You can pay netflix 8$ a month and watch everything they have.....
    I'd love a monthly fee for all-you-can-eat gaming on Steam and GOG, just like Origin does.

Leave a comment:

• rdeleonp
    replied

Well, my opinion with Steam's big picture mode is that it needs to become an actual media player too. It needs Hulu and Netflix and Soundcloud and etc, If they want to compete with xbox and ps they need to actually be capable of using the services people are actually using.
    I wanted this to happen, yet, we already have quite a variety of media sticks on the market, so maybe they don't see it as priority.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied

Those poor sad little plebs.....
    Yes, that's sad. They pay to have a day-1 content and refuse to wait the complete box in stores or month for Netflix diffusion, that's the market dude

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

Mac users do this daily on iTunes XD
    Those poor sad little plebs.....

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied

Well, that's all fine, but it pretty much already been proved pay per item doesn't work well with movies and music. Nobody wants to pay $1.99 for a single 24min episode of a tv series that will only ever be watched one time, and then have to do that all over again for every other episode, or have to pay $39.95 for the series bundle pack. It's completely retarded when You can pay netflix 8$ a month and watch everything they have.....
    Mac users do this daily on iTunes XD

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Well, that's all fine, but it pretty much already been proved pay per item doesn't work well with movies and music.
    That's a likely reason why it never took off. Currently it's mostly for Indie and gaming-related stuff.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Afaik Steam is already able to stream videos of its own (as it is using a browser engine for most online content anyway) so it should be able to play media already.
    They are also offering some movies of their own http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en...ab=NewReleases
    http://store.steampowered.com/videos/

And turning Steam/SteamOS into something like that has always been a target http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ste...sic,27428.html

It didn't seem to pan out that well though.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Well, my opinion with Steam's big picture mode is that it needs to become an actual media player too. It needs Hulu and Netflix and Soundcloud and etc, If they want to compete with xbox and ps they need to actually be capable of using the services people are actually using.
    Afaik Steam is already able to stream videos of its own (as it is using a browser engine for most online content anyway) so it should be able to play media already.
    They are also offering some movies of their own http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en...ab=NewReleases
    http://store.steampowered.com/videos/

And turning Steam/SteamOS into something like that has always been a target http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ste...sic,27428.html

It didn't seem to pan out that well though.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied

I gotta + this. SteamOs alone is good, but all consoles since 10 years include this kind of stuff.

I already have a laptop connected on TV so I can Stream games, watch videos, surf the web, and of course Netflix -> this one is VERY important.
    Another good point would be a uPnP server included, else I will never switch to SteamOs, a Linux distro is way more flexible.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Umm its not all Valve's fault, AMD and NVIDIA drivers are just not up to snuff on Linux, OpenGL and Vulkan is HARD for MANY developers, Ubuntu was/is devouring itself with many fragmented issues causing confusion for people coming to Linux (what distro do I use sort of deal.. then OH NO BLACK SCREEN, LINUX BROKEN).

Lets not forget that Valve doesn't prohibit companies from selling their games on other platforms, MS has shown the desire to LOCK developers into their platform only if possible, if by no other means then massive incentives! (anti-competitive).

I think one of the major hiccups Valve did was making their SteamOS a media center and not an actual, you know, OS with desktop and all for people to use. Sure you can make it so now but it's out of the box experience isn't very attractive for people who want a 'desktop' PC for gaming and not a DUMB consolized interface! (why wouldn't they just buy a PS4 or XB1 if that's the case?)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X