Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Hope For Ubuntu Phone In 2017? Fed Up User Announces "Ubuntu Crickets"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paupav View Post
    Phoronix is full of RedHat nazis. Every project who's parents aren't RedHat and Fedora community must die.
    Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      I also think that Ubuntu Tablets and Phones don't really have a future. People don't care about operating systems and even less so on mobile devices. They care about being able to install WhatsApp, Pokemon GO & Co and their banks PhotoTAN app. Ubuntu Touch just isn't really that compelling for OEMs and Joe average. Canonical making its own hardware would be suicide.
      I pretty much agree. But I think that there is at least one way in which Ubuntu can still succeed on phones and tablets: Ubuntu should offer an option to run Android apps using containerization technology.

Back in 2009, Canonical attempted to allow running Android apps on Ubuntu. But unfortunately, Canonical’s idea wasn’t really feasible at that time.

But now it's feasible. Google's Arc++ allows for running Android apps on Chrome OS with near native performance. And Google's Arc++, which is (mostly) open source, could be ported to run on traditional GNU/Linux distros, such as Arch, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.

According to StatCounter, which is one of the few market share monitoring companies that reports that market share for Chrome OS separately from the market share for traditional GNU/Linux, the market share for Chrome OS rose rapidly over the past year (from 0.51% in 12/2015 to 0.84% in 12/2016), while the market share for traditional GNU/Linux remained nearly unchanged over that same period (from 1.48% in 12/2015 to 1.55% in 12/2016). Indeed, some would say that Chromebook sales are fueling the rise in Linux OS market share.

Given the rapid growth in Chromebook sales, and given that many Chromebooks can run Android apps using Google's Arc++, we will likely see more software running as desktop-optimized Android apps on Chromebooks in the not-too-distant future. So in addition to allowing Ubuntu phone users to use WhatsApp, etc, a robust Android comparability layer (relying on Linux containerization) could eventually replace WINE as the preferred means for running proprietary software, whether in phone or desktop mode, that is otherwise unavailable on Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
        my wish is that UPhone can finally die. Better not waste more time and just join "remixos" + make this work as a "runs on phones, but if you plug in a display and a mouse its a full PC"
        Is it your time they are wasting? Stop this wanting-open-source-projects-to-fail trend already.

Like it or not, Ubuntu is the only major distro that is seriously trying to tackle the phone/tablet form factor.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          >And then a browser that remembers passwords

Not all users want this. I would prefer it not too, personally.
          I obviously meant 'A browser that CAN remember login credentials', not one that does so automatically for every site. Or are you opposed to browsers being able to store credentials at all?
          It facilitates using strong, unguessable, unique passwords everywhere.

Comment

I hope for -

- Use Wayland - Ship Ubuntu tablet with Intel GPU (there are several Android tablets already) - least effort and problems aa far as graphics drivers are concerned. No libhybris and no crappy workarounds required.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Some would say that you need to loosen your tin foil hat, less your brain overheats and has a stroke.
              Some would say that you need to get better at reading as not all posts are 100% serious.

The popularity of google branded phones with stock-Android show that most users don't want more Androids with non-stock interfaces.
              Popularity of what?
              Isn't Samsung the most popular Android in first world countries?
              Most people think Android = TouchWiz (Samsung's UI for Android) here.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
                Phoronix is full of Canonical haters. Every project who's parents are Canonical must die.
                fixed.

There are plenty of people on Arch, Gentoo, OpenSUSE, Debian too in this forum. Yet Canonical/buntu gets all the flames.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I am not interested in Ubuntu Phone. It would be better with nicer integration with my Android phone.

Get my notifications from the phone on my computer. Maybe reply from my computer on messages to my phone.
                  KDE connect (android app) does this already (since version 1.0, in september).

Comment

People are wondering about OTA15 but maybe the next one will be first Ubuntu Personal. In the milestones for system image there are currently two for Ubuntu Personal.

using the product meta project: ------------------------------------------------ Please add a bug task for the canonical-devices-system-image project if you want to escalate a bug. The product team will review and assess all bugs and also add tasks for bugs it thinks are of relevance for a specific product release. A relative priority within a milestone will be expressed via the Importance attribute. The relevancy of the underlying bug and the state of the assessment are expressed via the...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      There are plenty of people on Arch, Gentoo, OpenSUSE, Debian too in this forum. Yet Canonical/buntu gets all the flames.
                      To be fair, they kinda deserve this flak. Because everytime Canonical speaks, and especially Mark Shuttleworth, it's an avalanche of ridiculous promises backed with completely realistically impossible timeframe expectations, and for what in the end ? Disappointment at best. How many times Canonical said how much they'd rock the world and then fail to deliver ? Where's the marvelous Ubuntu TV ? How come Unity 8/Mir is almost 3 years late despite the grand 'Shuttleworth' convergence plan ?

So no wonder "realistic" people get pissed at such unprobable announcements, and noaways even the delusional fans who believed them so many times already are doubting about it...

I have an eternal respect for Ubuntu/Canonical and will always be thankful to them for making me switch permanently to Linux, but really, lately it's a disaster in the communication department. They really need to Mark Shuttleworth away in a closet really.

Red Hat guys might behave like arrogant twits sometimes, but they actually put their money where their mouth is. And you won't see any of this kind of extravagant bullshit from Arch/Gentoo... etc... people either.
                      Last edited by Scias; 28 December 2016, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X