LibreOffice Announces "MUFFIN" User Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I am still searching for the MONEY you pay for features you need.
    You are clearly missing the point! I am not willing to pay MONEY now, for features that I may be getting in some unknown FUTURE! I'd better pay MONEY for a product that already offers the capabilities and requirements that I need TODAY (because my job depends on it)!

But you can ask yourself what benefits a new RIBBON or new FANCY ICONS give to an office suite, if the underlaying engine has large performance issues.

If you want to get paid MONEY, then you need to do something against the performance issues NOW! The faster these issues are addressed, the more - small to medium size - companies may be switching to LibreOffice. The more MONEY or BOUNTIES or similar monetary funding might flow in the overall project.

Nobody will be convinced to pay MONEY into something, that simply won't perform. I wouldn't even hire and pay my MONEY to an employee that can't get his work done. Convince me first!

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
      You are clearly missing the point! I am not willing to pay MONEY now, for features that I may be getting in some unknown FUTURE! I'd better pay MONEY for a product that already offers the capabilities and requirements that I need TODAY (because my job depends on it)!
      If you joined the other goddamn whiners in a crowdfunding and paid a developer to do your bidding, you'd get that with a decent timescale.

If you keep whining, you only piss off people on forums, and never get what you need.

But you can ask yourself what benefits a new RIBBON or new FANCY ICONS give to an office suite, if the underlaying engine has large performance issues.
      You probably never thought that the people working on the UI probably lack the skills to work on the engine.

If you want to get paid MONEY, then you need to do something against the performance issues NOW!
      Bullshit, this isn't how opensource works.

If you fix the issues NOW, most people will still freeload the same, most companies still keep using MS Office due to inertia, and you still don't get a damn. Please remember that LO has no license fee nor marketing departments that can compete with MS's.

The faster these issues are addressed, the more - small to medium size - companies may be switching to LibreOffice. The more MONEY or BOUNTIES or similar monetary funding might flow in the overall project.
      Again talking of LO as if it was a thing with a license. LO has no license, more use does not translate automatically in more $$$ received.

Nobody will be convinced to pay MONEY into something, that simply won't perform. I wouldn't even hire and pay my MONEY to an employee that can't get his work done. Convince me first!
      I already told you how it works on opensource. You can pay someone to fix shit for you, and the code will be merged. Random donations don't guarantee that shit gets fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
        2 comments:

1) All ribbon stuff better be optional now and forever because I've been using MS Office regularly since the early or mid 90s and I can say for a fact that even having used it for several years now, the ribbon bar has only been a constant hindrance in my ability to quickly use and find features to use. It is far less logically organized and while it's an easier interface for a tablet, why the heck are you writing documents on a tablet in the first place? Come on. Having the ability to write documents on a tablet in a pinch is fine but there is no reason to plan your UI around a device that can never provide a good experience for office applications. The image provided shows several configurations and I assume that means it IS configurable (I've no interest in trying it myself at this time) and if so, that's fine, but I still think ribbon support is pointless.

2) Muffin? Really? Not only is that very hard to take seriously, but Muffin is already the name of Cinnamon's fork of GNOME's Mutter. Why is it that open source developers feel the need to name things stupidly, and why do they insist on using the same names that other developers already use, and which are already commonly used words that only serve to confuse search engines?
        Amen to both of these with the exception that I find stupid names great. And by great I mean things like psychotic stoned sheep, brain fuck scheduler, pidgin or others. there is many "professional sounding" names from "professional" companies that really is not very professional at all... for example windows professional

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Bullshit, this isn't how opensource works.
          If I recall correctly, then you've been the first talking about paying MONEY.

So using your own words: This isn't how opensource works.

And ... if someone lacking skills on working on the engine, then how does this convince me that the person has the skills working on the UI ?

Maybe they all lack skills on working on LibreOffice - this may explain why only GUI elements has been touched so far and some random integration into GNOME. Most likely no one else wants to touch the engine because no one seems to know what's going on there.

And stop throwing mud at me because I spoke about my experiences I made with LibreOffice.

I am not complaining or whining, I only addressed some issues with LibreOffices performance, that I as user made.

Comment

GREAT NEWS! New UI/UX is exactly what LO needs.
            With people becoming dumber by the day, an easier interface is mandatory (actually, will benefit less-dumb people as well ​​​​​).

​​​​​​Will definitely help gathering some users from MS Office.
            Hope you'll keep iterating new UI changes until LO can be recognized as a drop in replacement for M$!

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

No need! Calligra's UI is just fine the way it is!!! It's just missing features.
              The LibreOffice people get it - don't mess with that people are used to - if you want to change stuff as fundamental as the UI make it optional. I know Calligra under the covers is fast and efficient but it's jarring to use after being used to MS Office or LibreOffice.

Most of the design decisions go against their own Visual Design Board / HIG

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                if the underlaying programm sucks donkey balls and performs totally sluggish with 10.000 data rows x 5 data columns and a handful (5) charts ?
                I regularly work with much larger spreadsheets. Sounds like you have found a bug and should file a bug report. Either that or you are using a very old version. LO 52 fixed several serious Calc performance regressions that were found in LO 43-51.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  Today I tried a 6MB file and after 8 minutes it was at 50% of progress bar I had to killed it. The same opens in 3s with Excel...
                  If you're on LO 5.2 or newer, you should file a bug report. I routinely work with very large spreadsheets.

Originally posted by Passso View Post

And Writer is not that better, if you use a lot of images it just comes crazy. This is the kind of files I used to open easily on Office 10 years ago!

So yes, from my experience performance is a real issue, no sane company can use LibreOffice ATM. I do because I support opensource but sometimes I rage.
                  Yes, the image issue is well known and TDF may use some of the donations to try to get it fixed.

If you truly want to support open source, file bug reports on these issues and donate money to TDF or a bug bounty.

Comment

LibreOffice Calc has to do a conversion when opening xls/xlsx files, it's the extra step that takes time and isn't perfect. It opens its native format much faster. If your tests include opening 6/60MB xls(x) file in excel, and 6/60MB ods file in Calc, then you should definitely file a bug report. I had a very good experiences with filing bug reports for Calc, as they got resolved in a few weeks time. Just try to define the problem as accurate as possible, and give steps to reprosuce it, together with sample files.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
                      I regularly work with much larger spreadsheets. Sounds like you have found a bug and should file a bug report. Either that or you are using a very old version. LO 52 fixed several serious Calc performance regressions that were found in LO 43-51.
                      No these Bugs hasn't been fixed at all. Even the release coordinator agreed (in one of the countless performance related bugs) that performance testing has never been part of their release process (or testing process). I can assure you that my LO version is the most actual one that you can download from their site. 5.2 and even tested with 5.3. The so called performance regressions are not covered in any of your said releases - infact got even worse.

And guess what - these bugs has been filled plenty of times to their Bugtracker as well as if you google around then you find dozens (pages) of people complaining about performance issues. Most found around 2013 - today.

Filling where what and how ? Would be the next question. It's not like a misplaced button or some aesthetical stuff or something. The regression affects the entire office suite and is a matter of their project manager or release team or quality team to properly thest this stuff before announcing a new release where everyone shouts out "yay ... another GNOME integration ...".

... and what performance regessions has been covered ?

Writing it in a release announcement is something totally different than showing some numbers. How much percent speed gains are there ? What performance regressions exactly has been fixed. How does this affect overall performance in a normal daily usage ? Can I still scroll a sheet with 2000 rows and 5 columns and 5 charts or not ?

Comment

Working...
                      X