LibreOffice Announces "MUFFIN" User Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Perhaps a vertical ribbon option would help or autohiding the ribbon when its not in use.
    +1 for the vertical ribbon, vertical space is gold today since those nasty 16/9 screens

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Didn't they do some optimizations to Calc? Like GPU computing? Maybe their loading functions could be improved, though. Time for some profiling, I guess. Or that might be due to the way the document is structured in memory? Who knows...
      What I cannot understand is that while raw power of machines improved I feel LibreOffice is slower and slower.

Now back to main subject, the MUFFIN is great, at least visually (will try it soon for usuability)

Comment

They could fix their current backends too. Qt theme integration is terrible and GTK is no better. Not even mentioning dark themes that are extremely broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
          What I cannot understand is that while raw power of machines improved I feel LibreOffice is slower and slower.
          Even if machines improve in performance, this doesn't mean that one is going to buy every new technology of Notebook / Desktop. A lot of companies give their employees machines that have been used by the person who left the company or they buy them a new one and replace that one after it has been used for e.g. 4 years. When I worked for my former company (a big one with 3 letters and some NSA news within the press), they gave me a brand new T60 with just 1024x786pixel and 2gb ram (as a developer). They wanted to save a few bucks for better display (1600xXXX) and 4gb ram. They said, you can use an external Monitor (which I never received). They left me with that computer (6 years) until the day where I resigned. I therefore assure you that there are tons of old i3 (and older) machines still in daily use by people, employees and companies. And the software has to run reliably on it. So what benefits will I have with the ribbons, if I can't scroll anything horizontally and vertically because Calc crawls until it halts because it has to draw 4 charts on a sheet.

Comment

I always disable toolbars and the like. The most important things should be used via the keyboard and everything else is just as easily reached via menus.
            And if you use direct formatting (the most frequent use of toolbars as per my observation) beyond making words bold, you're creating more work than you are accomplishing.
            Styles are best applied from a proper list (F11 by default IIRC) anyway.

However, if this kind of thing allows more businesses to switch away from MSOffice, I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
              How about fixing the utterly sluggish and slow LibreOffice Calc performance ?

What benefit do I have by using new MUFFIN and fancy icons, if the underlaying programm sucks donkey balls and performs totally sluggish with 10.000 data rows x 5 data columns and a handful (5) charts ?
              Funny enough, Libreoffice can (or at least could in the past) deal with much bigger data ranges than Excel could. Maybe MS bumped their limit in the meantime but back then it actually was a serious constraint.

Comment

Oh no! Please not one of those useless bars like Microsoft did in all of their programs!
                If you want a mobile friendly interface then create a separate one. Don't screw up something that already works.

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                That's simple; as people write more and more abstracted code you'll get software that doesn't scale at all, not even with processor speed (due to cache misses and branch mispredictions).

Comment

Are they going to bring this interface to ANDROID? Or will they continue to spin their wheels and get nowhere?

Comment

I like the single-line-toolbar option. I arranged the toolbars like that myself for use on my tablet (where screen space, especially vertical, is a huge premium). The sidebar is also a nice addition, I use that on my PC.

Never cared about the ribbon. It's confusing to me more than anything (and icons of varying sizes is a dumb idea to begin with).

Comment

These mockups look like a trainwreck. And the ribbon-style UI already exists in LO today; it's called the Notebook Bar.

More importantly, LO needs to fix their terrible performance. Just about every single file I have opens way faster in Office than in LO. And Writer still cannot handle a document with more than five images before slowing down to hell when scrolling through pages, even after so many years.

Comment

Working...
                      X