• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon Come on, 6 posts away from your prediction of 200 comments ! :P

Comment

• Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
      dungeon Come on, 6 posts away from your prediction of 200 comments ! :P
      So why don't we boost it to 300 . See HDMI bad cable detection on even Kabini APUs+ that RADV developers does not even have and AMDGPU-PRO does not even officialy support . More and more sexiest features on top of DAL... i can't stop count them anymore

Last edited by dungeon; 10 December 2016, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• And of course District of Columbia should be renamed to DAL again

Happy New Year 2020.
        Last edited by dungeon; 10 December 2016, 04:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          For what it's worth, I think people are starting to run radv on amdgpu + SI. Not sure how well it's working yet though.

Don't see it happening on 6870 though...
          Ah, I can be optimistic about Vulkan on Tahiti then...

Comment

• I might be crucified for saying this, but would it rather be possible for AMD to release a version of ArchLinux/Ubuntu where the driver blobs are already included? This might be a short term solution? Or do I have it all wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by gorgamin View Post
              I might be crucified for saying this, but would it rather be possible for AMD to release a version of ArchLinux/Ubuntu where the driver blobs are already included? This might be a short term solution? Or do I have it all wrong?
              Well AMD doesn't have to do it.
              Somebody else can do it. Valve did it with Debian.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxie View Post
                Where to from here?
                I hope AMDGPU PRO improves fast with frequent updates and wider kernel + distro support.
                They just added freesync support which is fantastic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

That implies the use of AMDGPU-PRO, doesn't it? What if I do not want to use AMDGPU-PRO, but instead stay on with a vanilla kernel + libDRM + Mesa stack? What will i expect to lose?
                  Bringing it up again because it dropped too far back and I believe this is the main question that most people want to know.

Comment

• while you are fighting each other over who is right and who is wrong about the code, bill and his army of windowsers are free to go in, that's just what they need, divide and conquer

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

We did it with amdgpu but yeah it's not easy. If you look at the amdgpu code you'll see low-level HW IP block handlers (which can potentially be shared across OSes) used and controlled by a Linux-specific top-level driver. It's never as easy or clean as one would like though.

That is also how I expect we will end up organizing DAL/DC (portable IP-block handlers connected by Linux-specific driver code), but it's hard to make that work right now until we finish reorganizing drivers for the other OSes along the same IP-block lines that amdgpu uses today.
                      Another highly enlightening post! Thanks a lot for clearing that issue up for me as well. It seems to as if this very effort is going to help AMD improve it's drivers even in Windows. This I think is great news. But I hope AMD decides to put a full out emergency company wide effort into this though, because otherwise we are talking about an effort that could possibly take a decade.

Comment

Working...
                      X