It Looks Like AMDGPU DC (DAL) Will Not Be Accepted In The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

That implies the use of AMDGPU-PRO, doesn't it? What if I do not want to use AMDGPU-PRO, but instead stay on with a vanilla kernel + libDRM + Mesa stack? What will i expect to lose?
    Bringing it up again because it dropped too far back and I believe this is the main question that most people want to know.

Comment

• while you are fighting each other over who is right and who is wrong about the code, bill and his army of windowsers are free to go in, that's just what they need, divide and conquer

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

We did it with amdgpu but yeah it's not easy. If you look at the amdgpu code you'll see low-level HW IP block handlers (which can potentially be shared across OSes) used and controlled by a Linux-specific top-level driver. It's never as easy or clean as one would like though.

That is also how I expect we will end up organizing DAL/DC (portable IP-block handlers connected by Linux-specific driver code), but it's hard to make that work right now until we finish reorganizing drivers for the other OSes along the same IP-block lines that amdgpu uses today.
        Another highly enlightening post! Thanks a lot for clearing that issue up for me as well. It seems to as if this very effort is going to help AMD improve it's drivers even in Windows. This I think is great news. But I hope AMD decides to put a full out emergency company wide effort into this though, because otherwise we are talking about an effort that could possibly take a decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by gorgamin View Post
          The very first thing I ever learnt about real Linux people, is you never break the kernel or compromise its stability, for anything. Even if the feature promised time travel and the secrets to the universe, kernel stability is sacred.
          what made you think stability is somehow involved in discussion?

Comment

• Originally posted by ihatemichael
            LOL at this email:
            lol at this idiot commentator

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              I can only say Bridgman, good that you have blob driver
              they have their kernel fork, which is the only thing which matters for subj

Comment

• Originally posted by ihatemichael
                Why they didn't listen to Dave when he pointed out they've been wasting their time building this in the first place?
                why you are idiot and can't understand that it was not "they", who built this thing in the first place?

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  they have their kernel fork, which is the only thing which matters for subj
                  People wanna these features which are on top of DAL, just like on Windows... and that can't be simple done and easy maintainable how traditionaly kernel drivers expect.

And that is whole story, linux devs traditionally wanna something very easy or as easiest as possibile maintanable but this one is nothing easy... for better picture of the whole story someone should just make a list of all features for Windows which are maded on top of DAL and to realise that thing tend to be huge

Comment

• As always if no one wanna these features, we can keep going with our tradition of generic buggy drivers It would be simple generic as always, we could consider them fine on average, but with features missing

And then when average Joe comes in and ask "why that does not work, it works on Windows for ages", devs should just answer "do not ask me why"
                    Last edited by dungeon; 12-10-2016, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Does even RHEL care about Desktop with opensource drivers ? I guess, most most most most most likely not ... install propertiary drivers there and move on And for those average rollers with opensource drivers, it is impossible to make straightforward distro with stock and recently also even signed kernels

Which one kernel is that where opensource drivers work fine for all intel, nouveau and radeon drivers You won't found it, it is never single one the best... as princess is always in another castle and further with userspace drivers too

And with that you have mass of people who roll kernels for no other reason than because of those shitty incosistent GPU drivers

Further as when you don't have that, there won't be a trusty distro ever ever ever ever ever possible with just oss drivers and there won't be Linux on Desktop
                      Last edited by dungeon; 12-10-2016, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X