No announcement yet.

Outreachy Winter 2016 Projects/Participants Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This project is why I don't use GNOME. I reject racism in all its forms.

Comment

Prejudices exist... Period. Women get paid less than men. Black men are far more likely to get pulled over while driving. White men are forced to pay the vast majority of taxes....

Counters to prejudices are absolutely necessary. Even when concerning open source software development.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Prejudices exist... Period. Women get paid less than men. Black men are far more likely to get pulled over while driving. White men are forced to pay the vast majority of taxes....

Counters to prejudices are absolutely necessary. Even when concerning open source software development.
        Hey hey hey, stop right there. What is this bs you're trying to smuggle in?

Are you perhaps implying that black or hispanic americans, being non-rich aren't forced to pay most taxes too like any other non-rich?

Also, more importantly, why countering prejudices with other prejudices is a good idea at all?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Hey hey hey, stop right there. What is this bs you're trying to smuggle in?

Are you perhaps implying that black or hispanic americans, being non-rich aren't forced to pay most taxes too like any other non-rich?

Also, more importantly, why countering prejudices with other prejudices is a good idea at all?
          Who actually pays the vast majority of taxes? White men. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to guess why.

Let me counter your question with another question, Why do cities have Fire Departments? Seems simple right, you need one to deal with fires that inevitably occur in cities. Just as inevitably there are barriers to entry that revolve entirely around prejudice. It's the reason for affirmative action at the federal level for example and why programs like this are needed at the community level.

Comment

EDIT: And why you would call programs like this prejudice is beyond me. If a person didn't get a job because of prejudice, but because of a program, like this one, was able to obtain a different one, how is that itself prejudice? Countering prejudice by affording opportunity to those that suffer under it, is most definitely not itself prejudice.

Comment

Who actually pays the vast majority of taxes? White men. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to guess why.
              1. rocket SCIENTIST (i.e. a rocket designer), rocket surgeons don't exist.
              2. the answer is "whoever is not rich enough", not "white men"
              3. you are only stating the same thing you said again, not providing an answer.

Let me counter your question with another question, Why do cities have Fire Departments? Seems simple right, you need one to deal with fires that inevitably occur in cities. Just as inevitably there are barriers to entry that revolve entirely around prejudice. It's the reason for affirmative action at the federal level for example and why programs like this are needed at the community level.
              My point was about the method used to counter prejudices.

Keeping in line your current example, it would be like equipping Fire Departments with artillery so they can put out fires with artillery bombardments. They would be doing more harm than good.

Comment

EDIT: And why you would call programs like this prejudice is beyond me. If a person didn't get a job because of prejudice, but because of a program, like this one, was able to obtain a different one, how is that itself prejudice? Countering prejudice by affording opportunity to those that suffer under it, is most definitely not itself prejudice.
                Because this program has a barrier to entry. That IS prejudice.

Comment

Because this program has a barrier to entry. That IS prejudice.

Yeah the barrier of entry they put in place is to limit it to a demographic that is known to suffer from prejudice. Affording those people opportunity is not itself prejudice in any possible way.

Comment

1. rocket SCIENTIST (i.e. a rocket designer), rocket surgeons don't exist.
                    2. the answer is "whoever is not rich enough", not "white men"
                    3. you are only stating the same thing you said again, not providing an answer.

My point was about the method used to counter prejudices.

Keeping in line your current example, it would be like equipping Fire Departments with artillery so they can put out fires with artillery bombardments. They would be doing more harm than good.
                    You asked a stupid question, so I gave you a stupid answer. So yeah, Rocket Surgeon. Do you think Black men choose to be targeted by police officers? Do women in your opinion choose the same job for less pay? And while we're at it, do you suppose White men got together one day and just decided they were going to pay far more taxes than everyone else?

Comment

Yeah the barrier of entry they put in place is to limit it to a demographic that is known to suffer from prejudice. Affording those people opportunity is not itself prejudice in any possible way.
                      Limiting access and keeping out people that might be worthy due to bullshit reasons like race/gender is bad and prejudice.

The fact that it is reversed does not make it any less bad or any less prejudice, prejudice ALWAYS creates inequality, anger, distinctions.

Comment

Working...
                      X