Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Microsoft has begun stage 1.

Comment

Linux... it almost got good while it lasted... Fedora just got MP3 playback LOL.

Linux is approaching its ruination faster than it approaches mainstream usability. M$ joins to make sure it never does first hand.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrac...and_extinguish

Looks like Microsoft has begun stage 1.
        Phase 3 is really tricky to pull off on opensource. It's decades that Oracle and many others are trying hard to do that too (they are at the extend phase) and keep failing.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          and since their azure architect joins lf board, they are here for azure, not for desktop
          This. This is also my understanding of what's happening here. Microsoft is a very strong actor in the cloud, but they really need to make Linux a first class citizen on their infrastructure. Of course, EEE and such, one could imagine that Microsoft/Linux could one day even become more mainstream than Torvalds/Linux (although I do not foresee it).

That's a war Microsoft already lost, or is losing, in the server space. The most likely thing is that they will improve Azure support for Linux, Linux support for Azure and hyper-v; hopefully not building lock-in functionalities like the ones I heard AWS are putting. For that last point, we just need users to be intelligent, and see the value in having multiple eventual cloud providers, and still be able to deploy/test locally.

That, plus I am starting to really believe Satya Nadella, when it comes to Microsoft's policy changes. Looks like even Microsoft is changing nowadays (at least this is no longer Gates' or Balmer's). Only time will tell. Worst case I can think of: if we "trust" (not too much) them, we can benefit from it, even if they still have their evil masterplanâ„¢ in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post

That's a fork of atom with a different name. Not visual studio
            Visual Studio Code is not a fork of Atom. It just uses the same framework to build GUI applications over nodejs - Electron. The code uses Microsoft home made Html/Css/JavaScript text editor and it is written on TypeScript. Next thing is the new Visual Studio for Mac which is just re-branded Xamarin Studio which is re-branded MonoDevelop. As Xamarin part of Microsoft they don't want to have IDEs with different brands that's why they renamed it to Visual Studio for Mac and there is no version for Linux because XS was never available for Linux. All tools for Android and iOS development have been tested only on Windows and Mac (Thank you Miguel. You have focused to the money and forgot the Linux).
            Why Linux: Microsoft last years makes more money from Cloud than any other product (MS Office, OS, SQL Sever or hardware). But they are far away behind the Amazon cloud services. On the other side 50% of the business is using Linux as server OS. So adopting Linux and making it first class citizen in Azure is Microsoft priority. Porting SQL Server and ASP.NET to Linux is just a way to attract more and more customers to Linux.

P.S.
            For the people that think that Microsoft wants to do EEE to Linux are in a big mistake. Why: They don't care for Desktop OS. The sells of PCs are going down every year, the world changes to more mobile solutions: Android or iOS. The PC business is not profitable anymore. Who uses the PC in our days: The business, government and gamers, you think this is a lot of users think again maybe 30% of the market. The biggest amount of users are the regular home users, but wait why the home user need a PC ? He has a smart TV, smart Phone, Tablet, Game Console to do everything he needs.

Comment

This is rather interesting. it continues Microsoft's open source credential building. Satya seems determined to make Microsoft a software company that also makes an OS

Comment

Perhaps MS wants to use Linux as a future backend to Windows someday? It will still be locked down to high heaven with proprietary API and all but perhaps some good can come from it eventually? We just need a MAJOR shift to Vulkan API to really give the message to MS that platform locked API's are NOT the way of the future.

Comment

It's definitely about azure; just read this on kitguru.net:

"As a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation, Microsoft will contribute $500,000 and John Gossman from the Azure team will join the Linux Foundation Board of Directors."

So, yea.

Comment

As long as this leads to switching NT with Linux and/or open sourcing the NT kernel.. I'm all for it!

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                      As long as this leads to switching NT with Linux and/or open sourcing the NT kernel.. I'm all for it!
                      I'd rather see NT open sourced.
                      I also hope they'll finally fix linux's aio since they have both the expertise, resources, and need for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X