Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    meanwhile, they brought visual studio to mac but not to linux
    This is not a Visual Studio, just renamed Xamarin Studio.

Comment

Now is when they start developing features that work on WSL but not on bash on linux, so people will have no choice
      These features had better to not be stuff we had already since last 10 years in either bash or perl or python though to matter at all. I see it as a hard task.

Comment

Good, the time Canonical announces the "merge" with MS is near.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          Looks like its time for BSD.
          As in Blue Screen of Death? LOL

Comment

Conflict of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
              Meanwhile at the Redmond Headquarters:

"Gentleman who can tell me how to best destroy an enemy? It's from inside!"

<Cue dramatic music>
              ^ This is it exactly.

Originally posted by Passso View Post
              Little money spent for big decision power. WP M$!
              Understatement of the year. All they have to do now, is funnel some $$$ to a few of their fellow Linux Foundation board members in exchange for their votes, and they now have major sway over the decisions of the Foundation.

Microsoft will benefit greatly from this arrangement, at the expense of the Linux community. Not good.

A board seat also gives MS insight into the future direction of Linux, and the challenges and weaknesses that aren't generally advertised to the world. They'll of course use this insider information to make their own Windows OS more competitive against Linux. Make no mistake, MS is a Platinum member now purely for their own financial benefit.

Comment

meanwhile, they brought visual studio to mac but not to linux
                Visual Studio Code is free and available on your favorite platform - Linux, macOS, and Windows. Download Visual Studio Code to experience a redefined code editor, optimized for building and debugging modern web and cloud applications.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  That's a fork of atom with a different name. Not visual studio

Comment

...Trump's up to something...

Comment

"My dad taught me numerous things here — he educated me in this room. He trained me — hold your friends close but your enemies closer."

-- Don Corleone, The Godfather (1974)
                      Microsoft is a business entity. It should therefore come as no surprise that it generally has its own best interests at heart. Right now, it suits Microsoft to be a member of the Linux Foundation, though noone outside of the people who approved the financial backing for the platinum membership will likely know the exact reasoning and motives for the decision.

Can Microsoft kill Linux? As history has shown so far, this is unlikely. Can Microsoft sponsor and thereby influence the development of Linux? Certainly. After all, if RedHat can, why not Microsoft?

Comment

Working...
                      X