Nintendo Switch Announced, Powered By NVIDIA Tegra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Wait, what? They got a Skyrim port on their vulkan-like, custom ARM architecture, custom operating system, and... not us ? :'(

That is completely unfair.

Anyway, good luck with your lock in, you're locked out of my home, anyway.
    ?

Them use NVN api

However in console dont care because them use custom low level api case PSSL on PS4 or custom DX on Xbox One and custom operating system like bsd based os on ps4 case

Them have many chances to sell so much because dont fight with any console thanks to portability concept

Maybe real competitor for switch could be nvidia shield style devices

However nintendo have enough IPs for offer good exclusives like zelda, metroid, mario (in all flavors: kart, party, strikers, tennis, 3dworld), other mario characters based games (case wiiu with captain toad, super luigi u maybe peach too and others), mii characters games based case wii sports, wii party and others

Without forget this time have very good 3rd party case: bandai namco , koei-tecmo, konami, platinum games, arc system works, sega, codemasters, warner bros interactive, capcom, electronic arts, ubisoft, thq nordic, bethesda, square enix, activision, from software, pic games, atlus and others

Another possible side effect could be see more games in arm devices like as nvidia shield and others

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
      I wonder how that Skyrim version was made. Did they port their "old" Fallout 4 / Skyrim Remaster engine to Linux and ARM? Do they use OpenGL (more likely for legacy code) or did they put more time into it and have also future plans for that console and used like Vulkan rewrite?

Or maybe that Tegra chip isn't ARM based and is somewhat Windows related?
      There is no way the Tegra chip isn't ARM based.

Nvidia Shield TV have hardware compatibility for Direct-X12 (as referenced on Tegra's X1 page) but just lacked software driver to run it. If this is what you had in mind with "somewhat Windows related".

The Shield TV is compatible with both OpenGL 4.5 (desktop) and Vulkan. It also have CUDA driver. So the Skyrim remaster could only be a OpenGL port.

The Tegra X1 was already the most powerful ARM ship to date since May 2015 ( only PowerVR GT7600 Plus which came up last month can compete).

I'll be disappointed by Nintendo if their "NVN" api isn't vulkan based.

Comment

It seems like whenever Nintendo can choose between standards-based and proprietary, it chooses proprietary. Not to mention, wouldn't using Vulkan make it easier for emulators? I love the idea of Nintendo changing but I don't foresee it in my lifetime lol

Comment

Looking at the specs. Since it's based on a Tegra chip. I guess we might have a chance of booting Linux on it(and turn it into a desktop)?
          If it's using the same chip from the Tegra Shield Tablet. We even might have the first game console that can run Linux with full 3D acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by marty1885 View Post
            Looking at the specs. Since it's based on a Tegra chip. I guess we might have a chance of booting Linux on it(and turn it into a desktop)?
            If it's using the same chip from the Tegra Shield Tablet. We even might have the first game console that can run Linux with full 3D acceleration.
            It's Nintendo, I doubt they'd let us have the much control over the hardware

Comment

Originally posted by marty1885 View Post
              Probably unlikely due to firmware blobs unless its Pascal GPU ends up being really close to an existing Tegra and not so custom after all.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

Why not? The Vita was comparable to a handheld PS3 (see Uncharted), the Shield is significantly more powerful than a 360 (see the Doom 3 port). Relatively recent powerful handhelds/tablets routinely hand in performance of the preceding generation of consoles.
                From a quick search the PS3 seems to have quite more computational power, but the Vita has more RAM.
                But using them people seem to see them as equivalent, that's very interesting thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  The question for me is what Tegra. I have a Nexus 7 2012 sat around here somewhere with a Tegra 3, and it's not exactly anything special. I have no doubt it's better than that, but the question is how much better.
                  Well there have been a few Tegra's since the 3. Most importantly, the Tegra K1 (used in the Shield Tablet and Nexus 9 tablet) was the first to include a desktop-class GPU (Kepler in this case). This means it supports full OpenGL and now Vulkan. As a consequence, it's much more powerful than the mobile-class GPUs in all the other ARM SoC's. On the downside, battery life isn't the best.
                  The Tegra X1 has a Maxwell GPU and it sounds like this "custom" Tegra may have a Pascal GPU. So as long as it includes a decent number of shader processors it is going to be very powerful!

Comment

Skyrim on ARM with a terrible mobile GPU with shiddy anti-aliasing and another pathetic GPU?

Once again Nintendo proves they have no perception of GPU specs being too low exclude a whole audience who require their games to look like they were made this decade.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                      Once again Nintendo proves they have no perception of GPU specs being too low exclude a whole audience who require their games to look like they were made this decade.
                      i think you you are not their target audience.

Nintendo pretty much always sticks behind current gen, and focuses on making more games that are simply fun.

personally, i'd be hard pressed to find more family friendly consoles than Nintendo's. they have plenty of games that can be played in co-op mode as well, either with your peers or your 6 year old cousin.

Comment

Working...
                      X