Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo Switch Announced, Powered By NVIDIA Tegra

Phoronix: Nintendo Switch Announced, Powered By NVIDIA Tegra

Nintendo announced their new "NX" portable console today as the Nintendo Switch. While we don't focus on game consoles at Phoronix, hardware and talk of graphics APIs do excite us...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Didn't that article call their new api NVN?

Comment

Nintendo Switch = Nvidia Shield + Rebranding.
      It has Nvidia Physx.

Comment

Yeah, the Nvidia article does talk about an API called NVN. However this could be similar to when Sony and Nvidia created something call PSGL based on OpenGL ES for the PS3.

Comment

I see from Nintendo trailer/teaser that it can be used as home console.. will it be more powerful than the Wii U when playing the same games?
          I think some people won't be interested at all in a portable device and would like to have the best (if Nintendo is your thing) plugged to your home TV.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
            I see from Nintendo trailer/teaser that it can be used as home console.. will it be more powerful than the Wii U when playing the same games?
            I think some people won't be interested at all in a portable device and would like to have the best (if Nintendo is your thing) plugged to your home TV.
            I'm just guessing but I find it unlikely that a handheld would beat a home console of the same/previous generation (though the PSP supposedly could have beaten the PS2 if its CPU was not under-clocked). And yet, the video seems to show the switch as a merge of both, so I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
              MUCH more powerful. The NX is basically a more powerful (probably Pascal based) version of the nVidia Shield, but with Nintendo branding and games. Considering that the nVidia Shield console could play Crysis 3, this shouldn't have any problems. It's already been revealed that it will run The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Remastered. So much more powerful than a Wii U.

Comment

Interesting especially if it is Pascal based.

But does it blend? Can it boot straight up Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                  Interesting especially if it is Pascal based.
                  It's almost definitely Pascal based... Especially with it not even shipping until March.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So green Luigi takes control now

Comment

Working...
                    X