Is VR the next big flop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is VR the next big flop?

I would be curious to hear what people think of VR in its current form. Although the general concept of virtual reality truly excites me, I haven't seen anything so far that could prompt an investment on my part. It made me wonder:

Despite all the big tech companies investing heavily in virtual reality platforms, it doesn't look like the technology is really taking off right now. Is it simply due to the lack of content, or is the technology doomed from the start, sort of like 3D TVs? Do you even plan on buying a VR headset in the next year? If so, do you consider those cheaper headsets which hold your phone to your eyes an acceptable solution?

I think it will be useful for training for certain industries and stuff, but yes, I think it will end up a major flop just like 3d TV or even worse (somehow). We'll see.

Comment

I bought the OSVR HDK2 and I can say that within the next year buying a HMD is completely useless. The Oculus Rift and HTC Vive are both proprietary windows-only gadgets and 99% of the development is happening for those two. Even Razer/Sensics with their open source platform do not spend the money to have their developers finish their Linux support. The vast majority of VR games is made with Unity or Unreal Engine and both of those have no working Linux support for either the Oculus SDK, SteamVR or the OSVR SDK.

99% of the VR industry is a proprietary windows-only industry. Forget VR on a proper desktop Linux anytime soon. Facebook has spent $250M and is planning to spend another $250M on their proprietary ecosystem. Valve spent $100M. Zero of those dollars will provide anything for Linux users in the foreseeable future, not even Razer/Sensic's $5M developer fund.

I haven't really used VR on android/cardboard/daydream, but I am convinced it will suck in comparison to VR on PCs for the foreseeable future, because the sensors simply aren't good enough and even with Vulkan the graphical fidelity can not be very high.

Every passing day I care less whether it fails or not.

Comment

VR might take off if nintendo put in some $. They always seem to be the one pulling the weird innovative stuff out, like the Wii and it's strange controllers... They could do some serious tech if they wanted to, just look at their 3D screen tech on the Nintendo DS. Now imagine that combined with VR.... You'd have a winning combo right there....

Comment

VR is amazing. I have the Rift, which I run on my Windows gaming machine. The sense of immersion makes playing Elite Dangerous feel like actually being in space. I'm really looking forward to VR for Star Citizen. I don't care if the FPS parts make me have to vomit every 30 minutes, I'll play it anyway.

Comment

really it's the wrong question to ask. VR already flopped in the 90's It's not coming back. It's already proven that it can't work as a mass market device because it's too disorienting. People can handle having a headset cover their ears, but most people cannot handle a headset covering their eyes. There have already been mass market studies proving it can't work that were done in the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
              I would be curious to hear what people think of VR in its current form. Although the general concept of virtual reality truly excites me, I haven't seen anything so far that could prompt an investment on my part. It made me wonder:

Despite all the big tech companies investing heavily in virtual reality platforms, it doesn't look like the technology is really taking off right now. Is it simply due to the lack of content, or is the technology doomed from the start, sort of like 3D TVs? Do you even plan on buying a VR headset in the next year? If so, do you consider those cheaper headsets which hold your phone to your eyes an acceptable solution?
              Sorry but I think you are a VR bot

Comment

I believe VR will be a big flop in the coming future. I've visited several VR companies in Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Thought they're not many machines, the ones we experienced are awesome. Such as skiing, it has wind at that time.

There are many forums and exihibitions in Shenzhen this year. If you have chances, please come to Shenzhen and have a look at. I just heard Tim Cook has come to Shenzhen to attend innovation party held in Shenzhen today.

Comment

Working...
                X