Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Router Question

Hey!

Planning on building a router, what kind of performance difference will there be with going with an HDD vs SDD? Assuming PfSense would be running on it.

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
    Hey!

Planning on building a router, what kind of performance difference will there be with going with an HDD vs SDD? Assuming PfSense would be running on it.
    No performance difference that you can subjectively see or benefit from unless you are also trying to log every packet that traverses or even "knocks on the door of" the firewall, and you are also trying to run various applications on the firewall platform at the same time (and probably unsupported by pfSense but I could be wrong).

FYI : a good firewall, and pfSense is a good product, should process network traffic in memory as well as holding it's rules in memory. So "maxed out" memory for the hardware & software might be a better investment.

I did this on my FW, but it's not pfSense, and I did not notice any detectable performance differences.

Comment

Hey!

Unless you have a very fast connection and you are doing caching with squid or something, no worries... but a good SSD will probably be a little more reliable than a HDD.

Comment

FYI : a good firewall, and pfSense is a good product, should process network traffic in memory as well as holding it's rules in memory. So "maxed out" memory for the hardware & software might be a better investment

Comment

Hey!

It depends. SSD has some advantages. Smaller power consumption for one, for second, you could use ram disks for /var and /tmp in order to minimize disk writes and rise the longevity of your SSD (option for both in web GUI). Performance-wise, don't think there is much difference unless you plan on using packages like Squid3.

Comment

Left out the SSD and took an extra ram stick instead

Comment

Working...
            X