Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Libreboot Drama Continues, GNU Might Keep The Project

Assuming no actual proof gets brought out to back up the original claims made, this is probably the last time worth reporting on Libreboot, with it just going further down the rabbit hole.
    I tend to agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
      I wouldn't think so. It seems to me that the decision to leave the FSF and posting the complaints on the website was not something that was discussed with other contributors, so it's not like they all started turning on her. If anything it exposes weaknesses in the project's organisation.
      That's what I am saying. When the people within a project don't contribute to its organization, but leave it all to one person then that's what they get. Most people actually understand this and so often don't care either way. It's always the ones who end up complaining who haven't figured it out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        No, it's not just open source. People don't use their vote and yet have an opinion on politics; kids always believe mum is the best, until mum opens a can of whoop-ass; employees think they have the best employer until a company needs to make cuts; and so on. It's called blind trust and people almost every time blame others for it. It's a bad habit to have blind trust. And it's entertaining to watch
        You are halluncinating, this is the usual case of "small project where the community is made up of people that contribute a few patches in their whole life and one or two guys that filter stuff and commit", so as long as there is someone that accepts them and merges them none cares.

And why none cares? Because it is opensource, in case the leader goes bonkers it can be forked, which is what eventually is happening here with the GNU that basically told Leah the project is theirs now.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
          That's what I am saying. When the people within a project don't contribute to its organization, but leave it all to one person then that's what they get. Most people actually understand this and so often don't care either way. It's always the ones who end up complaining who haven't figured it out yet.
          Well, there are plenty of single-commit-access opensource projects where the leader isn't an ass, Leah didn't act like an ass before this cockup either so lolwtf are you saying again?

Comment

I think what Leah fails to understand is that this isn't about Libreboot but about GNU Libreboot.
            Since that was the banner it was listed under, every new version not part of GNU would have to be considered a fork of the original project.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              And why none cares? Because ...
              No, it's called trust. People trust their leadership and often do so blindly.

Also do get used to people changing. Don't trust in people always behaving the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post

I couldn't agree more. Listing the news and forum categories on Phoronix, I see computers, software, Linux etc related categories.

I don't see any politics category. Captain Obvious told me it's because this isn't a political website.

Yet, the majority of the 100+ comments made on the recent LibreBoot articles have absolutely nothing to do with the continued development of LibreBoot or any related topic. Many comments contain only hate speech and personal insults, written by people who never used LibreBoot or ever planned on doing so. They only commented because they were emotionally triggered to do so.

Aren't there more appropriate political opinion forums, sites and communities where you can share your political opinions with like-minded people, or debate with those you disagree with? Wouldn't that make more sense?

I promise I would never disrupt your discussions about politics, transgender rights and what not there, by going off-topic about Linux, computers and the like.

Could you please show me, and everyone else, the same respect on a technical forum (ie Phoronix) and restrain yourself from posting opinions on politics and/or your estimated intensity and strength of your emotions towards someone or something?
                The problem is unavoidable. Projects are made up of people, there needs to be leadership, coordination, and arbitration of disputes. The tragedy is that time and time again people who are put in to leadership positions in the open-source world use those positions to push their personal beliefs that have nothing to do with free software. The problem here isn't that Leah has a beef with GNU. Get in line lots of people do, and lots of people have a beef with the FSF, or with Linus. If Leah were just a regular contributor then no one would care. The problem is that Leah is using the project to leverage Leah's personal beliefs, holding the project hostage until Leah get what Leah wants, because Leah is upset. This fiasco has nothing to do with libreboot, or GNU, or the FSF, or even software. It's about one person abusing their position of authority.

Comment

[trollmode]
                  oh gawd. it was $6k 10 days ago. now it is $100k
                  some of the quotes in red are actualy slap in her face. "she" completely lost her mind.
                  [/trollmode]

Comment

Originally posted by stefansaraev View Post
                    [trollmode]
                    oh gawd. it was $6k 10 days ago. now it is $100k
                    some of the quotes in red are actualy slap in her face. "she" completely lost her mind.
                    [/trollmode]
                    Wouldn't it be cool if there was a troll-mode? Imagine if it changed the font and turned characters into troll faces...

Comment

I guess everyone miss the photonic/phoronix edit function..

Comment

Working...
                      X