Libreboot Drama Continues, GNU Might Keep The Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ezio21

You first call us taliban and then you insult us. Who's more aggresive here? I would be first to fight ISIS in my country if it would get attacked, what about your trans-boys? Can they hold a rifle? Or they're too scared to fight because that would destroy their make-up?

By thinkink like that You will destroy your country while we will watch.
    You are WAY out of line. I am a cisgendered Bi male and I stand with the transgender community on discrimination issues. You think trans people can't fight? Ask the trans folks who fought at Stonewall back in 1969, sucesfully repelling a police raid on a Gay bar first by the vice squad and ATF, then by the riot squad. With only field expedient weapons they defeated NYPD riot cops who had guns anytime they wanted to pull them and all kinds of riot weapons. The folks at Stonewall were not experienced, trained anarchists specializing in riot/insurrection tactics (which I actually am) either. They were just ordinary people who were used to having to fight fundamentalists, vice cops, and other bigots on a day to day basis.

You mention Daesh (ISIS). Daesh has declared war on all GLBTQ people, that is well known. Thus we are at war with them. as are all their neighbors and seemingly everyone they interact with. My political movement has boots on the ground (not drones in the air) in Kurdistan fighting them as we are allied with the YPG and YPJ. Back in August Anarchist News printed an obituary of one of our fighters, I think it was in the fight for Aleppo that he was killed. So don't talk to me about able to fight.

Unfortunately the things Daesh believes in are not limited to Daesh. I have personally had to confront a Fundamentalist Christian preacher who called for executing Gays face to face. What Daesh did at Pulse would not have been likely without the pre-existing attitudes of hatred and bigotry in too much of the general population, especially in a GOP controlled place like Florida. I refused to fight for Reagan and will never fight for Trump but will defend my own people without hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Leah seems like a bad project leader because instead of acting neutral and impartial she is acting up on her own personal believes. She should lead the development, not push a political, religious, sexual, national or ideological agenda.
      I agree on this point, as well as with Beherit. This is a technology-related website/forum, let's keep religion, politics, and personal opinions on non-technology related matters out of the door (unless invited to do so by the site's owner). Seriously, people should try not to mix their personal opinions with their professional lives.

I've been to this "insult" page, and I saw some perfectly fine e-mails (admittedly, I didn't read everything, I just skimmed them). For example, there is this mail with ""her"", which was quite eulogistic, stating the hard work the project leader did until now, which looks quite out-of-place given the page's tone.
      That said, she seems to have invested quite a lot of personal time in it, so I can more or less get why did this story go personal.

I really like the coreboot (and libreboot for that matter) project, and it believe takes true courage (not this thing apple seems to have mistaken for it) from their developers to stay committed, especially as the hardware support is quite poor (which means only a few choices, and a daunting amount of work every time you want to add some new hardware support), as well as the OEM support. I don't get why more manufacturers aren't interested in the project.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

I agree on this point, as well as with Beherit I don't get why more manufacturers aren't interested in the project.
        Don't be silly, that would give the end user far too much freedom and control of their own destiny

Comment

The FSF could at least have the decency to call it an official fork and rename it if they believe that Leah is at odds with the rest of Libreboot's contributors. It would be a much cleaner break that way and be best for both sides. As it is, their behavior sets a bad precedent and seems cult-like. "You can leave anytime you want... Just give us your money, your property, your first born, etc."
          Or maybe it's more like Hotel California: "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."

Comment

It seems more a case of don't take a project hostage on account of facts that can't be shared, not to the public, and seemingly nor with the rest of libreboot. Knowing this, it is a ill-fated move to initiate a public "hearing". The matter is for the courts to deal with, either for harassment in the workplace, or as of late, defamation.

Comment

I really like the coreboot (and libreboot for that matter) project, and it believe takes true courage (not this thing apple seems to have mistaken for it) from their developers to stay committed, especially as the hardware support is quite poor (which means only a few choices, and a daunting amount of work every time you want to add some new hardware support), as well as the OEM support. I don't get why more manufacturers aren't interested in the project.
              If you look at the hardware they are working on, most of it is no longer in production by the manufacturers so they wouldn't be making any money. Also keep in mind that supporting hardware they no longer make money off of encourages people to use this depreciated hardware instead of going out and buying something new that they would make money from. This is a problem even the huge companies like Intel are having, people not upgrading.

I'm sure the companies would support similar efforts on current hardware, but the community doesn't want that because they don't want to have to buy the latest and greatest for libreboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
                this is probably the last time worth reporting on Libreboot, with it just going further down the rabbit hole.

I see what you did there

Comment

Originally posted by Ezio21
                  You first call us taliban and then you insult us. Who's more aggresive here? I would be first to fight ISIS in my country if it would get attacked, what about your trans-boys? Can they hold a rifle? Or they're too scared to fight because that would destroy their make-up?

By thinkink like that You will destroy your country while we will watch.
                  1. I called you taliban, not him.
                  2. wtf of argument is this anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                    Aren't there more appropriate political opinion forums, sites and communities where you can share your political opinions with like-minded people, or debate with those you disagree with? Wouldn't that make more sense?
                    This forum is unmoderated (if we exclude the automated annoyance done by vBullettin), so yeah, people will talk of whatever with impunity.

Comment

I don't get why more manufacturers aren't interested in the project.
                      Because they prefer to get a pre-made SDK for their hardware, not waste time reverse-engineering and hacking around stuff.
                      Really, most UEFI firmwares are probably done in a few days by interns, considering the high quality level (i.e. the total and utter absence of bugs), and the total trustworthyness of features like ECC that can be set "off" or "Auto" (lolwtf is Auto? How about you give me some warning if it isn't working?).

Comment

Working...
                      X