Linux Turns 25 Years Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alpha_one_x86 View Post
    I have progress, but still huge lack, scheduler is not optimal, BTRFS is not stable, wayland is not widelly used (part of desktop usage problem), no OpenGL 4.5 for most driver, No Open source solution for OpenCL for AMD/Nvidia, lack of open source ARM driver (Odroid C2, ARM graphic part), lack of performance for some open source part where proprietary do better, grsec should be mainlined. More collaboration between coding team.
    But is usable on desktop, correct on server.
    Raspberry pi 3 is all open source now GPU included, if you want an ARM part there you go. Odroid C2 ~still~ doesn't have proper mainline kernel support so there's a lot more to be upset about there and the mali GPU it has is of course closed source. AMD is trying to fix the open source OpenCL issue but it still has a long way to go as they appear to be trying to fix everything at once and have a lot of catch up to do. I don't know why you would even mention Nvidia when complaining about a lack of open source, you'd have a better chance asking politicians to not be corrupt. They can't even bring themselves to support Wayland. Grsec is too strict to be mainlined unfortunately. They could mainline a lot of it, but the whole thing would completely break user space for damn near everything. And we all know how Linus feels about that.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
      I'm not quite sure about the "equally large demographic". I don't have any number to support me, so I might well be wrong, but just by observation I would say that the percentage of those who NEED a proper computer is far smaller nowadays.
      If you need numbers just ask Intel or Microsoft. Or Google, or whoever.

Comment

Q: What's been your favorite Linux moment over the past 25 years?

A: I have fiddled with Linux a bit every now and then since 1999 when Linux was only 8 years old. I tried quite a few distributions, but I quickly ran into issues with all of those I tried. I have no doubt that my favorite moment with Linux was when I started to use it for something serious back in 2006 when Linux was only 15 years old. As I learned more about the system it seemed like a never ending stream of amazement when I discovered how easy it was to set up complex and a bit more advanced things. Compared with Windows who always felt like fighting the system , using Linux (and in my case Debian) actually helped me reach my goals. If I needed something, someone else have usually had the same idea and either had the solution I wanted or a better one. Using computers was suddenly just as fun as the good old Commodore 64 / Amiga days. I felt alive again!
        My second greatest moment was as recent as back in November 2013 (Linux was then 22 yeras old) when I ditched Windows XP for good (something I should have done years ago). I have never felt so free in front of the computer screen as that day.

Q:What do you hope will come for Linux over the next year? 5 years?

A: (1 year)
        1. An improved CPU scheduler
        2. A nicer attitude from the systemd developers
        3. A nicer attitude from the systemd haters
        4. Less enthusiasm from the systemd lovers
        5. That Linus Torvalds keeps his insane codenames for the Kernel.

A: (5 years)
        1. A stable BTRFS implementation that support pr. subvolume mount options (...yeah right, but one can still hope)
        2. Low priority background memory scrubbing / memcheck (like memtest86) for non-ecc ram. (just a dream, nothing in the pipeline as far as I know)
        3. BcacheFS in some kind of stable form
        4. Linux to still be kind of "underground"
        5. That the Linux kernel will eventually become self aware (yeee-hah!)
        6. That the Debian repos will grow in size so much that not even Archive.org have room for a copy

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          If you need numbers just ask Intel or Microsoft. Or Google, or whoever.
          actually, if I'd ask Google, they will tell me that everybody could be happy with a Chromebook, which is just Linux On The Desktop[TM] 😉

Comment

Been using linux for about 17 years, but only went desktop about 7 years ago.

Probably the single most surprising "WTF is it April Fools?" moment to me was Microsoft announcing they were bringing Ubuntu bash shell to Windows 10. Yes, I know it's not "linux desktop" but the fact that the far wide reach and success of linux made it happen speaks to what future it has.

Comment

We have to be thankful for Linux, as it was the impetus for other opensource projects as well as prompting many vendors to open at least some of their drivers (AMD comes to mind). Happy 25th, Linux...and here's for 25 more years of Linux greatness!

Comment

In about 1992 I took a compsci class and it was taught on Sparkstations. I fell in love with UNIX. But a Sparkstation cost about $15K.

So my best ever Linux moment was in 1993 and it was booting Slackware 1.something on my parent's 386 box, and compiling a hello world C++ program on it.

Comment

mine was around 2001 i think i could be a little wrong on the timeframe. Back then we had knoppix running kde3 and man was that a beauty, it was so snappy yet so fully loaded linux desktop and we had CD/DVD drives then . K3b was incredibly rock solid. I miss the old days of k3b, and older amarok skins. Also Xmms. Good Times. I got so hooked to the concept of open source operating system and linux's tweakability, that now i work as a full time linux professional.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Still cannot break the 2% barrier. Not if anyone cares, anyway. :-)
                    What 2% barrier?

2015 devices sold by OS (includes smartphones, tablets, laptops and PCs together)

Linux Android: 1.3 billion = 54% of OS market

iOS+OSX: 297 million = 12.3% of OS market

Windows: 283 million = 11.7% of OS market

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                      actually, if I'd ask Google, they will tell me that everybody could be happy with a Chromebook, which is just Linux On The Desktop[TM] 😉
                      False, Google would not answer like that, that's a MS-like answer, and also ChromeOS is a web-kiosk OS (at least for a few months).
                      Although it is true that pretty much everyone would be happy with a Chromebook, especially after the android app layer goes off beta and you can use Android apps in them too.

That said, I mentioned Google as you can just look up their (and other's) data about the amount of web browsing done by mobiles (Android), and you will see that like last year they went above 50% of the total browsing share.

Comment

Working...
                      X