X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@karolherbst

Reply stuck in queue

Comment

They only "love Linux" because they want you to run a GNU/Linux distro on their Azure cloud platform. Besides that, they couldn't give a shit.

Comment

On Microsoft's Azure blog, Wim Coekaerts has shared some of his early comments and how Microsoft claims to continue loving Linux and open-source.
        I can love a good meal too. How about libre software? A lot of the stuff they open op isn't really free as in freedom (even though they improved a lot these last years).

It would be really funny to see Microsoft opening something under the GPL. (Yes, BSD-style licenses are still open source, but I think it would be interesting to see them deliberately choosing the GPL will all its implications).

Comment

At the keynote today with Jim Zemlin he had a slide up that made it pretty clear, an in-house kernel can't compete, and open source is winning.

Comment

The more i hear this stuff the more i want to switch to BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerousHobo View Post
              At the keynote today with Jim Zemlin he had a slide up that made it pretty clear, an in-house kernel can't compete, and open source is winning.
              What about Google's attempt at Fuchsia? (https://github.com/fuchsia-mirror) I am speculating that this will replace the Linux kernel on Android and Chrome OS. Why would Microsoft suddenly move to another kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                Microsoft used to Bash Linux, now they try PowerShell.
                Fixed.

No offence bro, but this was just asking for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbles231 View Post

What about Google's attempt at Fuchsia? (https://github.com/fuchsia-mirror) I am speculating that this will replace the Linux kernel on Android and Chrome OS. Why would Microsoft suddenly move to another kernel?
                  EEE....

Comment

If they're serious about this and don't have some murkier long term plans (think "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish") then this and their open source friendliness over the last couple of years is definitely a far cry from when Steve Balmer said that Linux was "literally communism" at a financial analysts' meeting in 2000.

Then again with the way their new management, including CEO Nadella, seems to have embraced various models from the open source world (among others Visual Studio is supposed to be ditching their own Visual C++ Compiler in favor of Cland/LLVM at some point) they could definitely be genuine about their embrace of open source and open source software like Linux. Hell, they've recently gotten a penchant for saving money by getting rid of whole departments of engineers so any nefarious plans could be related to cost savings from moving to open source alternatives that are maintained in co-operation with other companies and communities rather than being done completely in-house.

Comment

Working...
                    X