Microsoft Open-Sources PowerShell & Brings It To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    Unless there are newer APIs I haven't heard of, they'd be relying on the fact that both .NET and PowerShell are built on the same libc (Microsoft's) to ensure the quoting grammars match.

That would be my guess as well.
    The tools will already have to use some common technology to be able to read objects "piped" into them and write objects out, so it is not unlikely that they also have requirements for handling options.

.NET probably provides a common object serialization format and respective implementations as well as commandline parsers for the supported languages.

Still interesting that this wasn't always the case, never even occured to me that the frameworks I've been using did the commandline splitting for me.

Cheers,
    _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
      [/SIZE]

That would be my guess as well.
      The tools will already have to use some common technology to be able to read objects "piped" into them and write objects out, so it is not unlikely that they also have requirements for handling options.

.NET probably provides a common object serialization format and respective implementations as well as commandline parsers for the supported languages.

Still interesting that this wasn't always the case, never even occured to me that the frameworks I've been using did the commandline splitting for me.

Cheers,
      _
      To be fair, it's done at such a low level in the stack (the C/C++ runtime which does the setup prior to calling main() with the correct argc and argv) and people use Visual C++ to compile their Windows code (or their bytecode runtimes like CPython and .NET) so consistently that syntax mismatches are more a cautionary note than a likely risk.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        To be fair, it's done at such a low level in the stack (the C/C++ runtime which does the setup prior to calling main() with the correct argc and argv) and people use Visual C++ to compile their Windows code (or their bytecode runtimes like CPython and .NET) so consistently that syntax mismatches are more a cautionary note than a likely risk.
        Right.
        My experiences on Windows are with Java and C++ and in both cases I had always been given argument arrays.
        Which is why it had never occured to me that commandline argument handling was any different than on other platforms.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
          PowerShell, who cares?
          I wait for the day when they finally bring on MS Office.
          There are only two things I want:

FOSS implementations of DX9,10,11,12, all the way down to the hardware (mesa/gallium like Direct9 is trying to do now), and the Win32/Win64 and the rest of the MS API/ABI documented in full, and complete support for it in WINE, so we can run windows apps unmolested in GNU/Linux.

Its not like this is any bit of a threat, because for years Linux is already more capable than Windows by all accounts. It has no shortage of fantastic GUIs. Steam has ported some awesome games to run natively, and the graphics performance compares very favorably. Despite the fact its %100 Free as in Beer, still no one uses it, except sysadmins. Sysadmins run linux and its hard getting a job if your not running a some UNIX-type clone as a desktop OS(they do ask in the interview, the more "elite" the distro the better, running arch and gentoo on your main rig will bump you to the top of the hiring list). Steam at this point could likely have any Windows game it wanted ported to Linux if anyone actually used it.

There is not now, not ever going to be a Linux Year of the Desktop. Not only have I long given up on this, i don't even want that any more. Microsoft can keep the desktop market. I just want the the ABI/API extraction layer to work, so me and the rest of the nerds and sysadmins can run software designed for Windows on our Linux desktops.

Linux will continue to be the OS for the sysadmin, the tinkerer, the nerd, the geek, the hacker, and the privacy advocate. Everyone else can run windoze.

Comment

Working...
          X