Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 49 To Offer Linux Widevine Support, Firefox Also Working On WebP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Since when does Linux lack video acceleration? It's been working perfectly for many years now.
    Linux does not have a standard for HVA, in the same way Windows has. That's the big problem. Windows and Android have media frameworks for graphics and video acceleration that are standardized and "just work", whereas Linux has "many different ways of doing things" and a ton of outdated code bloat. The Firefox devs cannot implement video acceleration because the paths to do it properly on all hardware and software configs are not there to use and what they have to work with on Linux - in relation to graphics and acceleration and desktop rendering - is largely broken or "experimental" and has been for years. That's why Linux will not be a suitable alternative to Windows any time soon. Too many cooks in the kitchen, all trying to cook the same thing, with different recipes and ingredients.

Comment

FFS, and now we're without editing too... Screw vBulletin!

Anyway, anda_skoa, you mean the sandbox is an implementation detail of the browser? That's very possible. In which case I find it interesting that Chrome and Firefox both went for it.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Just my own personal opinion here, so please ignore if you don't agree.... Seriously FF devs, you guys need to do something about acceleration. Often times I have no choice but to stream to mplayer. I mean shit even just xv acceleration, which -all- video cards on linux can do, can playback 480p at less than 10% cpu load on a slow dual core, but firefox plays back the same file at 70% load and noticeable slips and lags in framerate

Really? You mean to tell me that FF devs can't implement a local video player? Well, to that I say, mplayer, xine, gstreamer, etc, etc..... Premade choices abound, make one.
      Web based video is a bit more complex than a local dedicated player. But even so, VAAPI/VDPAU with OpenGL interop is very much possible even for the demands of web video. There are bugs open about it at the Mozilla bugzilla, but it doesn't seem to be a priority for the devs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

Linux does not have a standard for HVA, in the same way Windows has. That's the big problem. Windows and Android have media frameworks for graphics and video acceleration that are standardized and "just work", whereas Linux has "many different ways of doing things" and a ton of outdated code bloat. The Firefox devs cannot implement video acceleration because the paths to do it properly on all hardware and software configs are not there to use and what they have to work with on Linux - in relation to graphics and acceleration and desktop rendering - is largely broken or "experimental" and has been for years. That's why Linux will not be a suitable alternative to Windows any time soon. Too many cooks in the kitchen, all trying to cook the same thing, with different recipes and ingredients.
        That right here is total bullshit.

All video cards can do xv acceleration at the very minimum. I can play back a video with FF at 70% CPU load and laggy. Streaming the same video to mplayer results in about 10% CPU load and flawless play back. Literally -EVERY- video card in -EVERY- machine can do it reliably and stably -EVERY time.

Make a choice. mplayer, xine, gstreamer, vlc, etc, etc. There are plenty of fully functional pre-existing video playback platforms to choose from. Stop dicking around and fucking do it! Lose this attitude that you must implement everything from scratch. It's anti-open source. Pre-existing platforms with compatibly lisences already exist for crying out loud.

Comment

@TheLexMachine
          reply stuck in queue

Comment

imo this forum needs a hate button and a bullshit button too.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
              If we are going to play word games, can we please replace "stealing" with "unauthorized copying" as that is what it is.
              We can, but "unauthorized copying" is still stealing.
              And the relationship between piracy and lost sales is too murky to call all piracy stealing.
              The fact that it does not lead to loss of profits does not mean that it isn't stealing.
              Sorry pal, but if you get someone else's stuff without asking or without following the rules, you are stealing.
              And even if it's stealing in some cases, maybe it's stealing from major corporations that have screwed up public domain and public cultural heritage by bribing the government and endlessly extending copyright length. So I say fuck them. Movies released >20 years ago and songs released >10 years ago should be public domain anyway.
              Still does not make it right, nor the best course of action.
              The right way is boycott, that is you don't buy and don't use.
              You said it above, if you pirate you end up as a pawn in their own game and boosting their name/IP/whatever and keeping their sales alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                ⁺¹, I happen to live in a big country, where outside of offices and OEMs, you hardly ever find a license copy of Windows. If peoples here were forced to really pay for Windows, GNU/Linux would have been much more popular. But for now in 95% common offices Windows OS is used — due to the net effect.
                Which is why I'm saying "for the love of zod, if you want to damage them, BOYCOTT, not STEAL". If you steal you become a pawn of them because of the net effect.

Comment

That right here is total bullshit.
                  No cupcake, it's not and what I said is exactly what the Firefox devs say. Don't believe me? See for yourself right here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=563206

Comment

You obviously have no clue what you're saying. information is free. It always will be free. You can't steal what is freely available. Hollywood can't do shit about it and they never will.
                    If you get something without asking the owner permission, you're failing at stuff that you should have learned at like 5yo.

Also, as others said, a reasonable amount of piracy is actually beneficial to them, so that "pirate shit because they are evil" is plain stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                      Yes, stealing is stealing. But what does that have to do with copyright infringement as a form of civil disobedience?
                      Does civil disobedience cover stealing? Because copyright infringement by torrenting is stealing.

Comment

Working...
                      X