Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 49 To Offer Linux Widevine Support, Firefox Also Working On WebP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Primetime works only in a signed sandbox, that's why it only works with official Mozilla builds of Firefox. Widevine doesn't have that restriction, it'll work in every build.

Yeah, this whole thing with proprietary CDMs is far from ideal. But as long as Hollywood insists on DRM, it's the best option there is. At least EME was designed from the start so that CDMs run in a sandbox, so the situation is noticeably better than the many security vulnerabilities of Flash.
    I disagree. Personally, I think the best option is to boycott the shit out of hollywood. Torrent everything, seed everything. Sharing really is caring.

Comment

Just my own personal opinion here, so please ignore if you don't agree.... Seriously FF devs, you guys need to do something about acceleration. Often times I have no choice but to stream to mplayer. I mean shit even just xv acceleration, which -all- video cards on linux can do, can playback 480p at less than 10% cpu load on a slow dual core, but firefox plays back the same file at 70% load and noticeable slips and lags in framerate

Really? You mean to tell me that FF devs can't implement a local video player? Well, to that I say, mplayer, xine, gstreamer, etc, etc..... Premade choices abound, make one.

Comment

Originally posted by 137ben View Post
        If so, EME is a big step backwards for interoperability compared to the ancient NPAPI.
        That was of course the intent.

It is a measure designed to keep control among the big players, it was always meant to be a step backwards for consumers, software developers and service providers.

Which made it so infuriating that the W3C accepted it as an official recommendation.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          At least EME was designed from the start so that CDMs run in a sandbox
          Are you sure?
          When was this added?

The original specification only covered the JavaScript API, not any detail on how a browser is supposed to implement it.

My understanding is that the EME spec is so high level that it doesn't specify if the CDM is even a separate entity, it could be a component inside the browser itselt.

Cheers,
          _

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I disagree. Personally, I think the best option is to steal the shit out of hollywood. Torrent everything, seed everything. Sharing without paying content creators really is stealing.
            Fixed.

Please note, "boycott" means "you DON'T watch/use their shit" not "you steal their shit like there is no tomorrow".

Boycott is not a synonim of stealing and is 100% legal, stealing is stealing and is a bad thing to do while also illegal.

Comment

Twitch HTML5 playback now also works on FF 49 without having to explicitly enable "unsafe" content. Good thing to have this before Twitch HTML5 goes out of beta.

Comment

If we are going to play word games, can we please replace "stealing" with "unauthorized copying" as that is what it is.

And the relationship between piracy and lost sales is too murky to call all piracy stealing. For example, I could argue that productivity software piracy is beneficial as it gets more people familiar with given productivity software, and they end up buying it or the places they end up working buy it. Network effects outweigh the lost sales. And piracy of movies/songs is not necessary lost sale either as if the product cost money, it might have been considered too expensive by said person and it would not have been bought anyway. And so on and so forth.

And even if it's stealing in some cases, maybe it's stealing from major corporations that have screwed up public domain and public cultural heritage by bribing the government and endlessly extending copyright length. So I say fuck them. Movies released >20 years ago and songs released >10 years ago should be public domain anyway.

I don't like pirating products developed by smaller shops or individual authors though. But my point is- this is not black and white.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Fixed.

Please note, "boycott" means "you DON'T watch/use their shit" not "you steal their shit like there is no tomorrow".

Boycott is not a synonim of stealing and is 100% legal, stealing is stealing and is a bad thing to do while also illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
                  And the relationship between piracy and lost sales is too murky to call all piracy stealing. For example, I could argue that productivity software piracy is beneficial as it gets more people familiar with given productivity software, and they end up buying it or the places they end up working buy it. Network effects outweigh the lost sales. And piracy of movies/songs is not necessary lost sale either as if the product cost money, it might have been considered too expensive by said person and it would not have been bought anyway. And so on and so forth.
                  ⁺¹, I happen to live in a big country, where outside of offices and OEMs, you hardly ever find a license copy of Windows. If peoples here were forced to really pay for Windows, GNU/Linux would have been much more popular. But for now in 95% common offices Windows OS is used — due to the net effect.

Comment

Fixed.

You obviously have no clue what you're saying. information is free. It always will be free. You can't steal what is freely available. Hollywood can't do shit about it and they never will.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      I disagree. Personally, I think the best option is to boycott the shit out of hollywood. Torrent everything, seed everything. Sharing really is caring.
                      There's that, I fully agree. Particularly in countries where the official offerings are terrible or don't exist at all.

stealing is stealing and is a bad thing to do while also illegal.
                      Yes, stealing is stealing. But what does that have to do with copyright infringement as a form of civil disobedience?

Comment

Working...
                      X