Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 49 To Offer Linux Widevine Support, Firefox Also Working On WebP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    anda_skoa

• anda_skoa
    replied
    Originally posted by 137ben View Post
    If so, EME is a big step backwards for interoperability compared to the ancient NPAPI.
    That was of course the intent.

It is a measure designed to keep control among the big players, it was always meant to be a step backwards for consumers, software developers and service providers.

Which made it so infuriating that the W3C accepted it as an official recommendation.

Cheers,
    _

Leave a comment:

• duby229

• duby229
    replied
    Just my own personal opinion here, so please ignore if you don't agree.... Seriously FF devs, you guys need to do something about acceleration. Often times I have no choice but to stream to mplayer. I mean shit even just xv acceleration, which -all- video cards on linux can do, can playback 480p at less than 10% cpu load on a slow dual core, but firefox plays back the same file at 70% load and noticeable slips and lags in framerate

Really? You mean to tell me that FF devs can't implement a local video player? Well, to that I say, mplayer, xine, gstreamer, etc, etc..... Premade choices abound, make one.

Leave a comment:

• duby229

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Primetime works only in a signed sandbox, that's why it only works with official Mozilla builds of Firefox. Widevine doesn't have that restriction, it'll work in every build.

Yeah, this whole thing with proprietary CDMs is far from ideal. But as long as Hollywood insists on DRM, it's the best option there is. At least EME was designed from the start so that CDMs run in a sandbox, so the situation is noticeably better than the many security vulnerabilities of Flash.
    I disagree. Personally, I think the best option is to boycott the shit out of hollywood. Torrent everything, seed everything. Sharing really is caring.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by 137ben View Post
    That doesn't seem to be the case with Adobe's CDM, since none of the unofficial FF rebuilds support it. Is Widevine locked down the same way as Adobe CDM?
    Primetime works only in a signed sandbox, that's why it only works with official Mozilla builds of Firefox. Widevine doesn't have that restriction, it'll work in every build.

Yeah, this whole thing with proprietary CDMs is far from ideal. But as long as Hollywood insists on DRM, it's the best option there is. At least EME was designed from the start so that CDMs run in a sandbox, so the situation is noticeably better than the many security vulnerabilities of Flash.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r

• cl333r
    replied
    As a dev who once had to use a C/C++ PNG api (libpng) - I'm very happy about WebP adoption. Because the former is a shitty old wacky API that takes you long to learn, while the libwebp API [1] is simple/modern/easy to use. And from what I've seen WebP is much better or equal to PNG at everything else, except (for now) being slower at certain operations. [1] https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/api

Leave a comment:

• FuturePilot
    Phoronix Member

• FuturePilot
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    AFAIK netflix is just checking user agent for that, change user agent with an addon to show you are on a Windows PC, and it should let you stream HD.

Also, I thought they removed that restriction for Chrome on linux.
    No, Netflix HD only works in Edge because it supports PlayReady and Protected Media Path. Not even Firefox (or Chrome for that matter) on Windows stream in HD.

Leave a comment:

• 137ben
    Phoronix Member

• 137ben
    replied
    Originally posted by Ehvis View Post

Only marketing bullshit. There's only one HD and that is 1080p.
    720p being called HD is a legacy thing. Hell, 1080p isn't really "high" definition anymore, it's the current standard. Now we have 2160p and 4320p
    (Which might not be noticeably better depending on how far way you sit from your screen.)

Leave a comment:

• 137ben
    Phoronix Member

• 137ben
    replied
    Is it possible for Widevine to be implemented as a plug-in/add-on in browsers that don't support it natively? I.e., could someone write a Pale Moon add-on that gives it Widevine support? Right now I use Pipelight/Silverlight when needed, but I suspect it will be discontinued eventually
    One of the big advantages of the old plug-in system (and indeed, the Web in general) was that new browsers could be written to be compatible with a plug-in's API without explicity cooperation from the plug-in developer. That doesn't seem to be the case with Adobe's CDM, since none of the unofficial FF rebuilds support it. Is Widevine locked down the same way as Adobe CDM? If so, EME is a big step backwards for interoperability compared to the ancient NPAPI. MS Silverlight has always performed terribly even on Windows, and its death is long overdue, but I don't believe EME is a suitable replacement unless it can be made at least as interoperable (or preferably MORE open).

Leave a comment:

• Ehvis
    Phoronix Member

• Ehvis
    replied
    Originally posted by heliosh View Post

Well there's HD and Full-HD

Also with Windows it's not possible to play Full-HD on Firefox/Chrome using the HTML5-player:
    See the "Resolution"-section:
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742
    Only marketing bullshit. There's only one HD and that is 1080p.

Also, Windows play 1080p just fine if you use ... ugh ... IE er Edge. And Apple can do it on Safari. But Netflix can't/won't certify Widevine as a good enough DRM, so it won't give it more than 3000 kbps. Regardless of OS or browser.

Leave a comment:

• heliosh

• heliosh
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    AFAIK netflix is just checking user agent for that, change user agent with an addon to show you are on a Windows PC, and it should let you stream HD.
    Well there's HD and Full-HD

Also with Windows it's not possible to play Full-HD on Firefox/Chrome using the HTML5-player:
    See the "Resolution"-section:
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

Leave a comment:

Working...
X