Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 49 To Offer Linux Widevine Support, Firefox Also Working On WebP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    FFS. The mod queue is pissing me OFF!!!

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

Read the Mozilla bug thread that I posted above and that will give you the full picture of why it isn't a done deal. It's not as simple as "Use VDPAU!" or "Use dis here media playa!". Acceleration needs to work in the browser - external players are a mess, especially with forks - and the foundation just isn't there yet.
    Hopefully this doesn't get stuck in the mod queue....

I did read the link you posted, but I think you misunderstood the point. It clearly indicated that the video acceleration code was written for windows. Obviously in that scenario it's pretty easy to imagine that they didn't care about cross platform coding styles.

So the obvious solution is to throw that fucking garbage away! Start Over! And again XV works on -ALL- video cards in -ALL- computers with -ALL- distros. By itself that would take CPU loads from 70% down to 10%. There is mplayer, xine, gstreamer, vlc, and more that can already do that. For free and with compatible licences.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Unenforceable law is the same thing as no law at all, and selectively enforcing an otherwise unenforceable law is the same thing as tyranny.
    I'm not talking of law, but of right and wrong. Also of effective and ineffective.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I know I cannot convince you.
    It's not about convincing me. It's about you being *plain wrong* about what constitutes stealing. Copyright infringement does not constitute stealing. Heck, it's not even a crime! Ok, some forms of infringement are criminal in certain jurisdictions, but peer-to-peer filesharing is not one of those forms. And even criminal infringement is *not* stealing.

Leave a comment:

• TheLexMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomin View Post

I think there is a sort of standard as everyone but Intel uses VDPAU. That means most desktop Mesa drivers, Nvidia proprietary and now even AMDGPU PRO can be supported with that one API. Even the Intel's VA-API can be used through VDPAU (with some software fallback parts, I think), so I don't see the problem with that.

It's true that sometimes they don't work perfectly. I've had some small breakage on Intel on Arch Linux, but it has been usually fixed (or just went away?) quite quickly. On Nvidia (proprietary) and Radeon (r600) I've had much less problems. I can't recall any recent (like last year or so) problems with those right now, although I watch a lot of TV recordings (MPEG2-TS with MPEG2 or h.264 video) on computer. Actually AMD has now some incentive to keep VDPAU on Mesa working, because they use it for PRO drivers as well, if I've understood correctly.
    Read the Mozilla bug thread that I posted above and that will give you the full picture of why it isn't a done deal. It's not as simple as "Use VDPAU!" or "Use dis here media playa!". Acceleration needs to work in the browser - external players are a mess, especially with forks - and the foundation just isn't there yet.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    And? You can kill people too by clicking links. (with the right hardware on the other side) Do we want to actually care on how the crime is committed or do we focus on the crime itself?
    Unenforceable law is the same thing as no law at all, and selectively enforcing an otherwise unenforceable law is the same thing as tyranny.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Even if you repeat it a thousand times more, it won't make it true.
    I know I cannot convince you.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    -Nobody- has to ask, all anybody has to do is click a link.
    And? You can kill people too by clicking links. (with the right hardware on the other side) Do we want to actually care on how the crime is committed or do we focus on the crime itself?

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    We can, but "unauthorized copying" is still stealing.
    Err, no.

Does civil disobedience cover stealing? Because copyright infringement by torrenting is stealing.
    Even if you repeat it a thousand times more, it won't make it true.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

Linux does not have a standard for HVA, in the same way Windows has. That's the big problem. Windows and Android have media frameworks for graphics and video acceleration that are standardized and "just work", whereas Linux has "many different ways of doing things" and a ton of outdated code bloat. The Firefox devs cannot implement video acceleration because the paths to do it properly on all hardware and software configs are not there to use and what they have to work with on Linux - in relation to graphics and acceleration and desktop rendering - is largely broken or "experimental" and has been for years. That's why Linux will not be a suitable alternative to Windows any time soon. Too many cooks in the kitchen, all trying to cook the same thing, with different recipes and ingredients.
    I think there is a sort of standard as everyone but Intel uses VDPAU. That means most desktop Mesa drivers, Nvidia proprietary and now even AMDGPU PRO can be supported with that one API. Even the Intel's VA-API can be used through VDPAU (with some software fallback parts, I think), so I don't see the problem with that.

It's true that sometimes they don't work perfectly. I've had some small breakage on Intel on Arch Linux, but it has been usually fixed (or just went away?) quite quickly. On Nvidia (proprietary) and Radeon (r600) I've had much less problems. I can't recall any recent (like last year or so) problems with those right now, although I watch a lot of TV recordings (MPEG2-TS with MPEG2 or h.264 video) on computer. Actually AMD has now some incentive to keep VDPAU on Mesa working, because they use it for PRO drivers as well, if I've understood correctly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X