X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google vs Yahoo

please suggest which search engine is better than other
    and where is searching prove more easy than other

For better protection of your privacy don't use any of these two, instead I recommend www.cuil.com. Google I'm not fond of, especially when you know they collect information about you and store that on their servers. It is believed they do it not in order to quench their thirst for voyeurist curiosity but to help others find information more rapidly and efficiently. BS. I find Yahoo is not a really good search engine.

Comment

Google rocks.. i feel cuil is overhyped. AFAIK i have found that although cuil claims to have indexed/crawled more pages, the relevance of results returned by google cannot be matched by it. Yahoo! is nowhere even near to google.. in terms of speed as well as relevance.

Comment

I agree that cuil is WAY overhyped. It's relevancy compared to google is far behind. It's like a search engine from the 90s. Any of the current search engines piss all over cuil. I find Live Search also fairly poor in terms of relevancy. I used to try Live Search when searching for Vista problems, but Google always turned out better. I don't actually mind Yahoo, but it's not better than google so I see no reason to switch. Also, over here in Oz it's heavily tied to channel 7, and the home page comes with alot of cruft. I personally think it's unneccessary to have to load flash videos when going to the search engine's webpage. I guess Yahoo have always been like that, but I don't need a portal and probably never will.

Regarding privacy issues, I'm not THAT concerned. There are some controversial elements to Google but those same criticism can be applied to Yahoo as well. I don't subscribe to the belief that there is a team of people going through everyones search records, so I am not all that bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
          Regarding privacy issues, I'm not THAT concerned. There are some controversial elements to Google but those same criticism can be applied to Yahoo as well. I don't subscribe to the belief that there is a team of people going through everyones search records, so I am not all that bothered.

As long as you wear your tin foil hat you should be safe,

Comment

Does it has to be one or the other? I usually use them both at the same time, as well as my former favorite search engine, Altavista. That's the beauty about Firefox and its tabs, and even better the ability to have multiple search engines in the quickfinder, so search for something with one engine, open new tab, switch SE, search for the same stuff, new tab, switch SE and search again, cross reference your findings and use those more relevant to YOU.

I guess I'm too spoiled at using SE's since trying to find stuff in MedLine is such a PITA, that you end up developing your own tricks to find exactly what you need in the less time possible. If only either/all SEs would add some of the functionality the Ovid MedLine search engine has, I'm sure many of our gripes about SE's would be solved. Alas, Ovid costs a hefty sum of money per year, and Google and its bretheren ('cause they're all in the same boat in the end) are absolutely free... What's more, they do make money off your visits, but not directly off you.

All in all, Google's results are tend to be the most relevant, for me and my needs that is.

Comment

Google is better than yahoo.

Comment

Battle of the search engine. And the winner is, google. Loser yahoo. or no winner no loser, probably both are losers and both are winners. I'm not making any sense, am I? But i think google is better.

Comment

would add some of the functionality

I guess I'm too spoiled at using SE's since trying to find stuff in MedLine is such a PITA, that you end up developing your own tricks to find exactly what you need in the less time possible. If only either/all SEs would add some of the functionality the Ovid MedLine search engine has, I'm sure many of our gripes about SE's would be solved. Alas, Ovid costs a hefty sum of money per year, and Google and its bretheren ('cause they're all in the same boat in the end) are absolutely free... What's more, they do make money off your visits, but not directly off you.

Comment

Originally posted by rana99 View Post
                    Weee! A copy-cat! Howdy!

Comment

Working...
                    X