Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SF Conservancy Speaks Out Against Developer Doing GPL Enforcement For Financial Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Spain never allied with America idiot. They were allied with France and entered the war because of its obligations to France.. I understand how it's comfortable to just quote wikipedia, but in this case that quote is definitely wrong.

Besides we still would have won. We won the very first engagement of the war and severely harassed the enemy the entire time. They were losing soldiers at all times. They were being shot at from every angle everywhere they went, during the entire war.
    Lol! No! Just no!
    You wouldn't have won the war without the help of foreign allegiances because while the British had longer supply lines, they still had more manpower.

The CSA also brought the war to the US early on, pressuring the Union all the way.
    They also looked as if they could win the thing but still lost, because of the sheer, overwhelming manpower of the US military at the time.

Back then, in order to win a war you still needed the recognition of the western European powers.

Comment

As starshipeleven already pointed out so graciously: One thing you don't seem to get is that an eventual 21st century US Revolution would be nothing like the glorious revolution that the US was founded on. It would be exactly like the war of 1861-65, with your side being the whipping boy of not just the US military but every major western ally.

NATO would happily blow you to pieces. At home and abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
        As starshipeleven already pointed out so graciously: One thing you don't seem to get is that an eventual 21st century US Revolution would be nothing like the glorious revolution that the US was founded on. It would be exactly like the war of 1861-65, with your side being the whipping boy of not just the US military but every major western ally.

NATO would happily blow you to pieces. At home and abroad.
        And just like I told him, there are so many other revolutions that have happened in this world. I gave one example that I'm familiar with, but there are so many more. Don't underestimate a people on there home soil. If you think you can win, then bring it on. But I'm telling you there is no chance you can win. Hundreds of millions of Americans are ready to fight. By far we have the strongest native might in the world. Every child is educated here to think this way. We are all ready to fight .
        Last edited by duby229; 25 July 2016, 07:32 AM.

Comment

And just like I told him, there are so many other revolutions that have happened in this world. I gave one example that I'm familiar with, but there are so many more. Don't underestimate a people on there home soil. If you think you can win, then bring it on. But I'm telling you there is no chance you can win. Hundreds of millions of Americans are ready to fight. By far we have the strongest native might in the world. Every child is educated here to think this way. We are all ready to fight .
          Tanks and bombers will always beat "native might" (you sound like a brainwashed Nazi, btw. It's scary).

But. Yea. Whatever dude. Keep dreaming and vote Trump. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Tanks and bombers will always beat "native might" (you sound like a brainwashed Nazi, btw. It's scary).

But. Yea. Whatever dude. Keep dreaming and vote Trump. Lol.
            You really are a dumbass. Why would you think I'm going to vote for that total idiot? In fact I'm voting for hillary. I think she'll end up with a whole lot less power than trump would have because she has more common sense than he has.

EDIT: I generally consider myself conservative, but I'm liberal in a whole bunch aspects. I'm not a republican or democrat. I'm not really independent either. I'll vote for whoever I think is the best person and I'll do that regardless of what -anybody- else thinks.
            Last edited by duby229; 25 July 2016, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Everyone talks about him going to courts about GPL violations and then trying to profit off that.

Where did you get that he relicensed a part of the source code of a larger GPLed program? Does it even make sense at all?
              The idea is that making money off companies using your code in noncompliance with the GPL is ok.

By extension, going to court over that is also ok.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                The idea is that making money off companies using your code in noncompliance with the GPL is ok.

By extension, going to court over that is also ok.
                I was asking duby where he read that this guy relicensed the parts of his code in a larger GPLed project, because that makes no sense.

I'm not sure about how relevant to that is what you are trying to say here.

Comment

He got this as compensation for GPL violation, which is conceptually very similar to the license fee for dual-licensed GPL/proprietary software...

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    He got this as compensation for GPL violation, which is conceptually very similar to the license fee for dual-licensed GPL/proprietary software...
                    Ah, ok, so you say he let the company use the GPLed software infringing the GPL after he got paid off?
                    I'd say that is very similar to stealing shit he does not own as most of the code in that project was not his, but I see what you mean now, thanks.

Comment

Out of all the nations in the world the US has -the- most powerful native might, and not by a little bit, by a whole lot. Even if a nation could overwhelm our naval might and land forces here, our native might would absolutely crush them. There is no nation in this world that could stand up to americans on our own soil, not even our own nation. I already gave one example in the american revolution, where we were invaded, we defeated the invaders, we developed our own logistics, trained our own forces, and ultimately won.

Tell the Vietnamese during american occupation, or Afgans during soviet occupation, or Chinese during japanese occupation that they had no chance of winning. Guess what they all did though? That's right they won. Don't underestimate a countries native might, especially when they have the home turf advantage.
                      The Vietnam war is actually the perfect counterargument. Militarily speaking we won the Vietnam War multiple times over, the problem is that the US military wasn't given the authority to actually end it once we pushed the Vietcong out of Vietnam as doing so would have invaded one of China's border nations, because of fear of Chinese reprisal as in what happened in the Korean war. If the US Military had been allowed to go all in however the Vietcong would have been completely annihilated. Instead what happened is the US Military won, the Vietcong would declare peace talks, and during those talks build up forces along the border, make a decent push into Vietnam before being pushed back out, eventually The Media made enough noise about it that the American public got fed up with The Vietnam War and we withdrew, leaving the French controlled government in place which the Vietcong didn't even have the courtesy to wait until the last of our forces had pulled out before toppling.

Actually the current Iraq and Afghanistan wars are another great example against Guerilla tactics vs the US Military, going by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ualties_of_war we average roughly 2 deaths/day against forces that are slightly better armed than the American public would be, which is the lowest rate of a major conflict that we've been in, it's also a fairly irrelevant amount in your "war of attrition", just for comparison car crashes kill roughly 90 people/day in the US (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_U.S._by_year) , and heart disease kills ~ 1671 People / day (http://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm).

That said, if we're actually being realistic as opposed to asinine, a "People's Revolt" is incredibly unlikely to be what would happen as opposed to a State Revolt, with states choosing to exit The Union, which would mean a proper military conflict as opposed to a Guerilla War. It's very important to remember that the US is not a country but a Federation of Nation States, much like the EU, and so any grievance against the Federal Government that The People have is usually going to be a grievance of The States against The Federation, any People's Revolt on the other hand is going to be by The People against The State, which thus far is really more Militant Faction X against The State.

Comment

Working...
                      X