Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Details Emerge About Debian Founder Ian Murdock's Death

Phoronix: New Details Emerge About Debian Founder Ian Murdock's Death

At the end of last year was the untimely passing of Ian Murdock, the founder of Debian who went on to work for Sun Microsystems during the Project Indiana days and then was employed by Docker. Details of Ian's passing have remained quite scarce besides it being reported as a suicide following a sporadic Twitter rant just before his death. New details have now come to light...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What... the... fuck... Seriously, he was found with an electrical cord around his neck, on the ground, and his body was covered in bruises like he was horribly beaten. And suicide by hanging is what they wrote this off as? Is their PD that incompetent, or did Murdock seriously piss off the wrong person?
    Last edited by SaucyJack; 06 July 2016, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
      What... the... fuck... Seriously, he was found with an electrical cord around his neck, on the ground, and his body was covered in bruises like he was horribly beaten. And suicide by hanging is what they wrote this off as? Is their PD that incompetent, or did Murdock seriously piss off the wrong person?
      That's actually not that implausible. I don't know the full details of where he was found, but it's very possible that he hung himself, and didn't break his neck (at least not immediately). The jolt from him hitting bottom could've weakened whatever he was hanging from enough that the resulting struggle, from suffocation, would eventually break it. Him struggling would also explain the bruises. Despite what the movies show, hangings aren't "clean".
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Blood alcohol was found to be .21, which could explain a few recent injuries just from falling down while intoxicated. Also present where a bunch a various benzodiazepines, where found in his system, presumably recent treatment for alcohol withdrawal. I would point to the bottle as a more causal agent than the prior police contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

That's actually not that implausible.
          And then you go on to describe something insanely implausible. You do understand there is a link in the article for all of the material right?

Him struggling would also explain the bruises.
          No, it really doesn't. Also, the bruises the police explicitly stated didn't exist?

and didn't break his neck (at least not immediately).
          No crap, it was suffocation (also in the autopsy).
          Last edited by SaucyJack; 06 July 2016, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

No, it really doesn't. Also, the bruises the police explicitly stated didn't exist?
            You do realize the bruises can take days to form post-injury, right? Do we have an exact timeline of when he died to when the police saw the body to then make the statement that the bruises weren't there?
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

His rants on twitter was about anything in particular?

Comment

Uh, they "obtained" the report and uploaded it... why does this strike me as an egregrious violation of a patient's privacy?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  It is the communist country that killed Ian. All the shit in the world is caused by the public sector: wars, poverty (caused by high taxes and other communist laws) and and misery (fex violence and alcoholism). In private sector, people drink to forget misery and public sector rots your head when doing nothing useful and this happens:
                  http://www.vox.com/2016/7/6/12105380...ouge-louisiana
                  I just can't believe what I am reading. Maybe Duby is right and my Intel drivers sux and print random bullshit on my screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I just can't believe what I am reading. Maybe Duby is right and my Intel drivers sux and print random bullshit on my screen.
                    Once he posts something other than "debian is the greatest, xfce is THE DE (all hail whisker menu), you shall have no other god but wicd" and you're still not happy? I guess there's just no pleasing for some...

Comment

Working...
                    X