Dirk Hohndel Is No Longer Intel's Chief Linux/OSS Technologist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It's not a matter of thousands.... It's a matter of "the right amount". Which happens to be 3 on most loads, and probably 4 on some loads.
    no, it is not right amount on load, it is "amount which only makes your cpu cost twice per mips and not more"

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      no, it is not right amount on load, it is "amount which only makes your cpu cost twice per mips and not more"
      You are definitely wrong. You might want to go back and read some Thunderbird K7 reviews. It's not new, it's been this way for many years.

Comment

You are definitely wrong. You might want to go back and read some Thunderbird K7 reviews. It's not new, it's been this way for many years.
        i am definitely right and you might want to go read any gpu review

Comment

i am definitely right and you might want to go read any gpu review
          So GPU's can be used for HPC, We agree on that. What we don't agree on is the number of integer units an AMD CPU should have. I'm right and your wrong. 2 integer units per pipeline is not enough for an x86 instruction stream.

Comment

reply stuck in mod que

EDIT: We agree GPU's can be used for HPC, what we don't agree on is the number of integer units an AMD CPU should have and I'm right and you're wrong.

EDIT: Here is a block diagram of a K7 so you can compare and see what I'm talking about.
            https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...thlon_arch.png

It is a 3-way single threaded pipeline, 3 integer units in the pipeline. AMD's modern cores are 4-way (2 pipelines x 2 integer units) dual single threaded pipelines.
            Last edited by duby229; 08 July 2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

EDIT: We agree GPU's can be used for HPC, what we don't agree on is the number of integer units an AMD CPU should have and I'm right and you're wrong.
              each additional unit comes with diminishing returns. so ideal number is one per core. it just requires proper software
              It is a 3-way single threaded pipeline. AMD's modern cores are 4-way dual single threaded pipelines.
              bulldozer cores are 2 alu + 2 agu per core

Comment

each additional unit comes with diminishing returns. so ideal number is one per core. it just requires proper softwarebulldozer cores are 2 alu + 2 agu per core
                The AGU generates addtresses for the ALU, but it's the ALU that is the integer unit and there are only 2 of them per pipeline.

Used to be the AGU was part of the integer units, but in BD AMD split it out into it's own pipeline because it allowed them to remove a number of stages from the integer unit.
                Last edited by duby229; 08 July 2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

if you mean 3 times cheaper i7s then i mean 3 times cheaper bulldozers, now what ?
                  I wrote MEANT, which is PAST TENSE. I wanted to compare with desktop i7, I wrote it wrong.

Comment

there are tons of people who believe systemd is redhat conspiracy
                    Not as much as the people that think amd CPUs are crap, consider that the biggest crowd is on Windows, and systemd isn't on windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X