PulseAudio 9.0 Released With Many Audio Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Was it reported somewhere? I see only this bug report on tizien OS from 2012-2013 https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/TIVI-180

If it wasn't reported, it probably will not get fixed.
    Was literally just about to when I saw the 9.0 release announcement. Seemed a little futile previously given that I had no idea why it affected my system and not others or what was causing it, plus no way to get a usable backtrace. (I'm still not sure why it doesn't cause a crash on all systems.) If you take a look at the bug tracker it's remarkably easy for annoying bugs to languish there for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by makomk View Post
      Was literally just about to when I saw the 9.0 release announcement. Seemed a little futile previously given that I had no idea why it affected my system and not others or what was causing it, plus no way to get a usable backtrace. (I'm still not sure why it doesn't cause a crash on all systems.) If you take a look at the bug tracker it's remarkably easy for annoying bugs to languish there for years.
      No bug report no party. No exceptions.

Comment

• Originally posted by makomk View Post

plus no way to get a usable backtrace.
        Last time I reported pulseaudio bug I had no problems with getting a proper backtrace. And the bug was fixed very quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by puleglot View Post

Last time I reported pulseaudio bug I had no problems with getting a proper backtrace. And the bug was fixed very quickly.
          See my original comment. When the crash is caused by some code unloading itself (and of course all its debug information) whilst it's still executing, as it was in this case, you don't get any meaningful backtrace because by the time the crash happens all of the information required to create one has gone away. You get something like this:

Code:
          #0  0x00007fffe5db146e in ?? ()
          #1  0x0000555555b7ae60 in ?? ()
          #2  0xc125cef6f5d9c500 in ?? ()
          #3  0x0000555555b73380 in ?? ()
          #4  0x0000555555af2bd0 in ?? ()
          #5  0x00007fffffffcd40 in ?? ()
          #6  0x00007ffff7b5aa2d in pa_hook_fire (hook=0x555555aaa150, data=0x555555aaa150)
              at /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-9.0/work/pulseaudio-9.0/src/pulsecore/hook-list.c:104
          Backtrace stopped: frame did not save the PC
          That's with full debug information for PulseAudio installed. It doesn't help much here.

Comment

• Actually PA 9.0 seems to have improved echo cancellation. I had issues with echo cancelled streams where you used a sound card that had variable boost and sometimes all of a sudden the boost was set to near-maximum and a few seconds of mayhem ensued (naturally it happened when there was silence). With 9.0 it seems this is better handled.
            Also, bluetooth handling is better too (with 8.0 i had this issue where i could not set handsfree profiles if the headsets had a2dp).

BTW PA's bad name for me came from Ubuntu - you know when they force-fed it to everyone in versions 8.10-9.04. Back then it was full of bugs and applications crashed it (or themselves) like crazy.
            But after a few versions it was stabilized and now it works very well and it's extremely useful for on-the fly output change and has very good echo cancellation (has to be enabled manually though).

Comment

• I like PA, have no problems with it. In fact, I have more problems by just using ALSA.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                exactly TWO TIMES MORE. there is a theorem for that, on which all digital sound is built
                Unfortunately, that's not exactly as you say. Again, that only works with theoretical filters. Without them, it is impossible to remove beats between the audio signal and the sampling frequency. In the real world, theoretical, perfect filters don't exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(acoustics)

Comment

Working...
                X