Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Designs New File-System To Succeed HFS+

Phoronix: Apple Designs New File-System To Succeed HFS+

With WWDC happening this week, in addition to the macOS Sierra and iOS 10 news, there's also a bit of low-level tech of interest to us: Apple File-System...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think you got the acronym wrong. It should read AFTFS. (About F***ing Time! File System)

Seriously though, HFS+ is an awful file system that can't die quick enough.

Comment

Reinventing the wheel, again..

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        Reinventing the wheel, again..
        Incompatible licensing, again...

Comment

Let's see if it can beat ReFS to the punch. It probably can...

Comment

And there dies what little compatibility with OSX Linux had. It's bad enough trying to dual boot using the kernel's HFS+ support (no journaling support, doesn't support all the new crypto stuff etc). It would be nice if for once Apple didn't try to wall their garden but I guess that's just wishful thinking. I don't think I'll be buying another Mac. The hardware's really nice, but it's just painful to use the way I need it.

Comment

It'd be great if someone could develop one of these great filesystems with a permissive licence, so everyone could use the same one.

Comment

"It will be interesting to see if APFS is open-source or not"

lol... good one, Michael.

Comment

It would be great if someone would release an open source filesystem that could be freely used by others so long as their modifications remain open for the sake of user security... oh... wait.

Comment

Originally posted by ctwise View Post

Incompatible licensing, again...
                    Which is only Apple's fault. If they respected their users, they would use the same licenses.

Comment

Working...
                    X