Apple Designs New File-System To Succeed HFS+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    The downside is, yet again, the open source community. In the future, if you want additional changes/features you have to get approval. At that point, having everything in house starts to make a lot more sense.
    NVIDIA is mind-controlling you or something? Can you please throw yourself in cold water to break this trance?

What the heck would stop them from keeping their own little personal features in a downstream patch like 99% of opensource projects do while sharing common parts?

It's wildly unlikey they can do anything remotely comparable to btrfs when working alone, I doubt they have the resources to come up with anything more complex than a mild hack of their HFS+ to work better on flash devices.

Originally posted by peace View Post
    My theory is that apple wants better support for distributing/syncing data in their FS. They added in iOS 10 the ability to view files across many devices. Maybe they want this support in the FS level.
    Unless it is a distributed filesystem (i.e. a SINGLE filesystem used by ALL devices together like in computing and SAN data storage), this makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      btrfs isn't "ready", so what fs would you suggest?
      lolwut? btrfs is infinitely more ready thant non-existent aple fs

Comment

distributing/syncing data across network connected devices isn't something supported in btrfs or ZFS. If I remember correctly.
        because it is not filesystem's job

Comment

distributing/syncing data across network connected devices isn't something supported in btrfs or ZFS. If I remember correctly.
          On Linux that would be handled by DRBD or distributed filesystems or similar.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          because it is not filesystem's job
          At some point people said that RAID and volume managment was not the job of a filesystem and accused ZFS of "layering violation".

Comment

I just wish they don't even add the option of having a non case sensitive file system this time, but there's no mention of case sensitivity that I can find, so it will probably the same case insensitive crap by default as HFS+.

Edit: Ok, it seems that for now it is case-sensitive and no option to change it to case-insensitive, so at least that's an improvement.
            Last edited by devius; 14 June 2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

APFS limitations like it can't be a startup disk pretty much make this a dead on arrival tech, not a replacement for HFS+

Comment

Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post
                APFS limitations like it can't be a startup disk pretty much make this a dead on arrival tech, not a replacement for HFS+
                It's a preview in macOS Sierra (10.12). It won't be available as the main filesystem until next year (10.13).

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  I just wish they don't even add the option of having a non case sensitive file system this time, but there's no mention of case sensitivity that I can find, so it will probably the same case insensitive crap by default as HFS+.

Edit: Ok, it seems that for now it is case-sensitive and no option to change it to case-insensitive, so at least that's an improvement.
                  Many big-name third-party applications (I'm looking at you Adobe), won't even install onto a case-sensitive volume.

Comment

But what about the most important question: Will it be case-sensitive?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                      But what about the most important question: Will it be case-sensitive?
                      Yes. The docs clearly state that the filesystem is case-sensitive. It also states that there is no option to change that. Yay! Finally everyone will fix their Apps. And I won't ever have to run into the makefile vs Makefile existing in a git repo again.

Comment

Working...
                      X