Apple Designs New File-System To Succeed HFS+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post

Zfs wouldn't fit the bill (not designed with flash in mind) and btrfs isn't "ready", so what fs would you suggest?
    Honestly, the closest fit would be bcachefs, but that's no where near production ready.
    Wild guess: throwing their weight behind btrfs would yield results faster?
    The downside is, yet again, the open source community. In the future, if you want additional changes/features you have to get approval. At that point, having everything in house starts to make a lot more sense.

Comment

My theory is that apple wants better support for distributing/syncing data in their FS. They added in iOS 10 the ability to view files across many devices. Maybe they want this support in the FS level.

distributing/syncing data across network connected devices isn't something supported in btrfs or ZFS. If I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        The downside is, yet again, the open source community. In the future, if you want additional changes/features you have to get approval. At that point, having everything in house starts to make a lot more sense.
        NVIDIA is mind-controlling you or something? Can you please throw yourself in cold water to break this trance?

What the heck would stop them from keeping their own little personal features in a downstream patch like 99% of opensource projects do while sharing common parts?

It's wildly unlikey they can do anything remotely comparable to btrfs when working alone, I doubt they have the resources to come up with anything more complex than a mild hack of their HFS+ to work better on flash devices.

Originally posted by peace View Post
        My theory is that apple wants better support for distributing/syncing data in their FS. They added in iOS 10 the ability to view files across many devices. Maybe they want this support in the FS level.
        Unless it is a distributed filesystem (i.e. a SINGLE filesystem used by ALL devices together like in computing and SAN data storage), this makes no sense.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 06-14-2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

ARRRGHHHHH I hate this unapproved posts shit.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            ARRRGHHHHH I hate this unapproved posts shit.
            Protip - create a 5 word post, then edit it to say whatever you want to bypass the Approval process. Also always copy your post before hitting submit, I've lost like 50 posts to this shitty vbulletin theme or software.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Protip - create a 5 word post, then edit it to say whatever you want to bypass the Approval process. Also always copy your post before hitting submit, I've lost like 50 posts to this shitty vbulletin theme or software.
              I save my posts already because this and MANY other forums simply log you off after a while and when you post they just error out and lose the text

I'm suspecting that the garbage feature in this forum is bleeding edge, I already tried the edit method (that fools it elsewhere) and the post still ended up as unapproved after the edit.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 06-14-2016, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

No, it makes no sense. For example their house made graphic stack is piece of sh*t. I bet their FS will be even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

No, it makes no sense. For example their house made graphic stack is piece of sh*t. I bet their FS will be even worse.
                  Well, video cards and drivers change all the time. File systems and storage are usually set in stone for a decade or so.
                  Even so, have you heard many OSX users complain about their crappy graphic stack? Why bother if the users can't make a difference anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by ctwise View Post
                    Incompatible licensing, again...
                    you don't need licensing to share on-disk format

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                      It'd be great if someone could develop one of these great filesystems with a permissive licence, so everyone could use the same one.
                      with permissive license everyone will make his own proprietary incompatible fork

Comment

Working...
                      X