Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the developer guide, my italics:
    Open Source

An open source implementation is not available at this time. Apple plans to document and publish the APFS volume format when Apple File System is released in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by ctwise View Post
      Incompatible licensing, again...
      As long as the source code will be released on whatever license that allows redistribution, DKMS handles the rest.

Comment

Seriously... they cannot use existing and superior file systems?
        They always have to be "different", even if it's nit for better...

Comment

Originally posted by DonMouloud View Post
          Seriously... they cannot use existing and superior file systems?
          They always have to be "different", even if it's nit for better...
          Zfs wouldn't fit the bill (not designed with flash in mind) and btrfs isn't "ready", so what fs would you suggest?
          Honestly, the closest fit would be bcachefs, but that's no where near production ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluthy View Post
            From the developer guide, my italics:
            Open Source

An open source implementation is not available at this time. Apple plans to document and publish the APFS volume format when Apple File System is released in 2017.
            My guess is that Apple will document their APFS format in the same way Microsoft documents its Open XML format. And the latter works so great in open source implementations.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Zfs wouldn't fit the bill (not designed with flash in mind) and btrfs isn't "ready", so what fs would you suggest?
              Honestly, the closest fit would be bcachefs, but that's no where near production ready.
              I'm sure they want something they can use in their iPhones as well as the desktop, and ZFS is definitely not designed to scale that way. Even btrfs is targeted more towards servers than phones. So I actually think this move makes sense for Apple.

Comment

(silence)

(silence)

(tension building silence)

f2fs

Comment

Their FS will not be "ready" or "stable" (in terms for a FS) in any time either. Making a FS is hard work and isn't done in a day.
                  I don't think there's no need for a Phone minded file system as long as you can disable features.
                  For flash friendly there's f2fs already.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    "It will be interesting to see if APFS is open-source or not"

lol... good one, Michael.
                    "An open source implementation is not available at this time. Apple plans to document and publish the APFS volume format when Apple File System is released in 2017."

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                      "An open source implementation is not available at this time. Apple plans to document and publish the APFS volume format when Apple File System is released in 2017."

https://developer.apple.com/library/...ileSystem.html
                      That's not even open source.
                      Documenting something in the open doesn't necessarily mean they release their code under any sort of open license.

Comment

Working...
                      X