Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Open-Sources Edge's WebGL Implementation

Phoronix: Microsoft Open-Sources Edge's WebGL Implementation

Microsoft has open-sourced their WebGL implementation used by the modern Edge browser on Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not saying anything for sure... but often times Microsoft "open source" means a bunch of setup just so it can make a call into something (that does the work) that is not open source. We'll see (or not see).

Comment

"They hope opening the code will lead to better interoperability and being able to fix cross-browser implementations."

LOL so it's basically like "here's how WE do it get yourself in line!" In all seriousness will they accept commits that make it back in to edge? If not this sounds kind of dictatorial in terms of how things *should* work.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
        Not saying anything for sure... but often times Microsoft "open source" means a bunch of setup just so it can make a call into something (that does the work) that is not open source. We'll see (or not see).
        Note that it's under the MIT license, not GPL. We should not take for granted that the work someone else put the time into has been made available to us for the sake of use, example, or even education. Even if it's by a company with a spotty track record like Microsoft, note that once you put code like that up with an MIT license, you cannot do a takesies backsies. It's out their for good and is a large step for some people or companies, even if that code may be not very useful to others.

That said, they opened up an entire GLSL parser that actively translates into useable HLSL. It's good reference code on how the Edge WebGL engine works or translation in general. We cannot get enough good examples of language parsing.

Comment

Glsl is already usable by opengl drivers. I agree this is a dictation not opensource. And lol at calling a ms browser modern.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            Glsl is already usable by opengl drivers. I agree this is a dictation not opensource. And lol at calling a ms browser modern.

Comment

Do you have anything useful to add? Glsl->hlsl is the most retarded thing i heard of. I cant think of a single reason to do something like that. I guess neither can you.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                Glsl is already usable by opengl drivers.
                What? This has nothing to do with drivers.
                I agree this is a dictation not opensource.
                Wait, how is publishing some code on a website now dictation? Does MS embed some sort of mind control in it that is forcing you to do something?
                And lol at calling a ms browser modern.
                Edge actually is fairly modern. It's still crappy, obviously, but they are at least trying to bring in all the modern features you'd expect out of a browser.

Glsl->hlsl is the most retarded thing i heard of. I cant think of a single reason to do something like that. I guess neither can you.
                I can think of one, yes. Intel drivers on Windows. That's actually pretty important for browsers, since about 90% of their market is Windows machines on Intel gpus. It's the whole reason all the browsers (including both Chrome and Firefox) translate WebGL to DX on Windows. It's less buggy than trying to natively use the untranslated GL code because Intel's GL drivers are crap.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 08 June 2016, 08:38 PM.

Comment

So it has nothing to do with drivers? But then you give crappy intel drivers as an example. Well tell intel to fix their drivers then and stop this bs. See how fast they will fix it. Its not like the drivers do anything wih glsl anyway... like compiling.

Comment

Also just because source code is available to read doesnt mean its open. Microsoft has done this plenty of times before in the past.

Comment

Working...
                    X