An Apparent Exodus Continues At OwnCloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    You lack of understanding of sarcasm is amusing.
    That would be because people like torsionbar exist, and have shown up in this very thread, and are completely serious about it.

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    You're right, it doesn't follow. It's a straw-man argument; other than yourself, nobody has made this claim.

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

Woah, slow down there son. A phobia is an irrational fear. Microsoft has a long and consistent track record of buying out rising stars in the software market, for the express purpose of burying their product and quashing competition. Both the US Justice Dept, and the European Union have sued Microsoft for this anti-competitive behavior. OwnCloud is a rising star, and Microsoft is Microsoft, so this buy-out speculation is based on fact, not fear.

Ahem... that is exactly what this claim is, and before you go "Well I wasn't specifically talking about skype there" it really doesn't matter who you're talking about, what you're saying is: Microsoft bought out company X, so them buying OwnCloud is based on Fact. Despite Microsoft having no reason to really pursue OwnCloud.

Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 29 May 2016, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      That would be because people like torsionbar exist, and have shown up in this very thread, and are completely serious about it
      I don't care about torsionbar (he is adult and can handle himself), but only about my post, I was not anywhere near serious about MS buying stuff, so don't cite me in the "people being serious about it" please.

Comment

The issues I talk about are behind the scenes.
        If it ran like crap none would use it at all, but good software is a bit more involved than just "running fine".
        "just running fine" is ok if the webapplication will never interact with outside world, OwnCloud does interact with the internet, so it should put some effort to avoid becoming PwnCloud.

Security issues abund, and none is really tackling them because average users like you don't care.

Depends from the needs. If the user only cares about performance and easy configuration, OwnCloud wins.

If the user needs to run the "server" part on a weak device, or actually cares about security... he must use other programs as OwnCloud does not cut it.

-Synchthing for files (can sync whatever, what's that about "not syncing only specific subfolders"?)
        -calendar and contacts can go on any decent CalDAV protocol server program like say radicale http://radicale.org/
        -sharing files can be done by the average ftp server, sharing (read-only, with or without passwords) a specific folder inside the shared folder of Synchthing. Web browsers can usually browse ftp and provide a dropbox-like GUI for free.
        Not wistanding security issues, the main reason I use owncloud is to access my files on the go on any random device, and to share files or folder using sharing links.
        An ftp would roughly solve the first, but clearly not the second.

Comment

-sharing files can be done by the average ftp server, sharing (read-only, with or without passwords) a specific folder inside the shared folder of Synchthing. Web browsers can usually browse ftp and provide a dropbox-like GUI for free.
          LOL. You're ranting about Owncloud's security and then go on to suggest we use FTP. Hahaha

Comment

This was posted to the owncloud mailing list today. I wonder if it has something to do with what has been going on.

Hi all,

Today we announced the creation of the ownCloud Foundation which will
            guarantee the viability and availability of free ownCloud now and in
            the future. We have made a commitment to open development in a blog
            recently and want to extend that further to ensure that the community
            is providing the direction, planning and atmosphere that is best for
            the project. The ownCloud community has matured a lot over the last few
            years and is certainly to play a bigger part in its own destiny.

We have added lots of info at foundation.owncloud.org (including
            preliminary bylaws, elections, etc) but wanted to provide a few
            highlights.
            Membership is free and open to everyone.
            We have proposed four working groups to focus on in the beginning:
            - Technical
            - Security
            - Evangelism
            - ownCloud Contributor Conference

For those of you who are already very involved with ownCloud, nothing
            changes in how you contribute, and we are very thankful for your
            continued support.

If you want to join the Foundation public mailing list or sign up for
            emails that share Foundation announcements, you can do so on the new
            foundation.owncloud.org site.

This is an exciting step toward making sure the ownCloud community
            remains in the open and is governed by all of you.

Best,

Markus

Comment

Originally posted by FuturePilot View Post
              LOL. You're ranting about Owncloud's security and then go on to suggest we use FTP. Hahaha
              Please elaborate more.

Comment

Please elaborate more.
                What more do I need to explain? You're saying there's security holes all over Owncloud but are advocating the use of an insecure protocol as a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by FuturePilot View Post
                  What more do I need to explain? You're saying there's security holes all over Owncloud but are advocating the use of an insecure protocol as a replacement.
                  Ah good catch, i always call sftp "ftp".
                  Sounds stupid, but I can assure you that I meant sftp above.

Comment

Working...
                  X