Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Play Along With All Android Apps Are Coming To Chrome OS

Phoronix: Google Play Along With All Android Apps Are Coming To Chrome OS

There were a lot of exciting Google announcements yesterday in kicking off the company's annual I/O conference while today there's a big piece of news: the Google Play store is coming to Chrome OS. Yes, all Android apps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow! ChromeOS has just officially become my laptop OS then.

Comment

Ugh yeah, after I decided to ditch my Chromebook because it was too limiting. But, I don't think Android apps would've helped enough anyway. At this point it doesn't really make sense why Google bothered to create Chrome OS though. Android is fully compatible with keyboards and mice. Why not just create android-based netbooks? (in fact, I'm pretty sure those already exist)

Now hopefully in the future this will be available on the Chrome browser so we can see Android apps running on the Linux desktop via Chrome.

Personally, I'd rather see a separate linux-compatible binary that can do this. If plain Linux can run Android apps without a VM, that opens a lot of doors for the Linux community. Might even help with Android development.

Comment

This is pretty exciting. I wonder if simple plugin could be made quickly that could leavage this for use in GNU linux (Ubuntu, Arch, Ect).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Ugh yeah, after I decided to ditch my Chromebook because it was too limiting. But, I don't think Android apps would've helped enough anyway. At this point it doesn't really make sense why Google bothered to create Chrome OS though. Android is fully compatible with keyboards and mice. Why not just create android-based netbooks? (in fact, I'm pretty sure those already exist)

Personally, I'd rather see a separate linux-compatible binary that can do this. If plain Linux can run Android apps without a VM, that opens a lot of doors for the Linux community. Might even help with Android development.
          Yep. Google should just buy RemixOS and make it so that Android works good as a Laptop/Desktop OS.

Comment

Damn, my Samsung XE303C12 won't be supported https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/6401474
            Last edited by dolohow; 19 May 2016, 04:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

"All" android apps? Only x86 ones will work without a VM. I don't think those are even too common, are they?

Comment

Pretty awesome given that I just purchased a new Chromebook that's on the list to get the Play Store. I can forget crouton and running linux once this happens, assuming the one android app I needs will be available for x86.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                  Only x86 ones will work without a VM.
                  s/VM/binary translation/

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                    "All" android apps? Only x86 ones will work without a VM. I don't think those are even too common, are they?

Depends on whether they have native libraries. Most apps are pure Java and will run fine; those that use native extensions will vary - many do have native x86 as well as ARM and I'd assume it'd get more common if this becomes the norm. The NDK makes targetting multiple instructions sets pretty simple.

Comment

Working...
                    X