No announcement yet.

GNOME's Nautilus File Manager: "Its Best Moment Since It Was Created"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caja. I love Extra Pane mode, but Nautilus dropped that feature and replaced it with Extra Pain.

Comment

I just tried Nautilus once again for a few minutes. Since it no longer crashes after switching to list view (why are tiles even the default? They suck!) it's definitely useable, but you can't open a directory in a new window with middle click. (In fact, the middle click behavior is inconsistent – in the sidebar it opens a new tab, in the file list it does nothing.)
      Also, scrolling is just a little more laggy (and uses ridiculous amounts of CPU) than in Thunar.
      So, I stay with Thunar for now. But fix those two flaws and I'll give Nautilus a real shot again.

Comment

Dolphin all the way. Love the way it works with remote as well as local file systems thanks to the underlying KIO architecture. I can undertake file system operations on remote servers using a raft of protocols making copy/move of file from local to remote very easy and removes the need for separate FTP/SFTP/SCP/NFS/SMB clients. Not sure how (or even if) nautilus handles such protocols.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

What does that have to do with what I said? I mentioned you needed to type a command in a terminal to show hidden files, I didn't say that command was invented by Apple. So, unless you're going to tell me it's not true that the only way to show hidden files in Finder is through a terminal command then I don't see how "I don't know what I'm talking about".
          You did say it doesn't persist between sessions and it actually does infact persist. The prefs are written into xml files in ~/Library/Preferences/ per application and persist, plus they are a lot easier to use than gnome-registry.

Comment

Originally posted by dvs999 View Post
            Dolphin all the way. Love the way it works with remote as well as local file systems thanks to the underlying KIO architecture. I can undertake file system operations on remote servers using a raft of protocols making copy/move of file from local to remote very easy and removes the need for separate FTP/SFTP/SCP/NFS/SMB clients. Not sure how (or even if) nautilus handles such protocols.
            With gvfs, GTK+ applications have the same possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

This article caused me to look at Files/Nautilus for the first time since Gnome 3.14. It's better, but I still prefer Nemo. It wouldn't surprise me if the underlying code is in better shape, but the zeal with which they have removed features still bugs me. Gimping the sidebar, removing the menus, removing the address bar (but wasting the space anyway), useless zoom levels (at least they added one back), no open terminal button, etc. As someone who still has to use Windows from time to time, Nemo is just more Explorer like, and that's not a bad thing. I'd bet for someone who works on a Mac, the current Nautilus feels more familiar.
              removing the address bar : switch from path bar to location bar permanently in Nautilus
              useless zoom levels (at least they added one back) : we have now four zoom levels in Nautilus 3.20
              no open terminal button : you must install nautilus-open-terminal (Arch) / gnome-terminal-nautilus (Fedora)

Comment

Originally posted by dvs999 View Post
                With gvfs, GTK+ applications have the same possibilities.

Comment

The whole article is a little bit saccharine and delusional to me, perhaps he should look at the pre 3.x releases for inspiration for future releases.
                  Last edited by danielnez1; 06 May 2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Nautilus is great! It shows you your files, lets you open them, modify them, trash them, move them around the file system and to/from remote servers. Want to find a file? Just start typing. Everything you want from a file manager, really. Anything else makes it harder and slower to do these basic things - so I'd rather drop to a shell instead. And that is trivial to do with the nautilus-open-terminal extension.

If you really need more, then install File Roller and you can also compress and uncompress archives from a Nautilus window. Install Seahorse and you can also encrypt/decrypt files in-place. Install the send-to extension for sending files directly via a mailer or IM client.

Want to access files in the cloud? Just configure your Google or OwnCloud account in the Online Accounts pane in the GNOME Settings app. Need Dropbox? Just install its app and it integrates right into Nautilus.

Really need two panes? Right max, open a new window, left max. Three keyboard shortcuts! Hate two panes? There's no code for it anywhere in the code base making the app buggy.

Nautilus is highly modular, and does one thing really well. It's actually really UNIX-like in this respect.

Excellent software!

Comment

Working...
                    X