GNOME's Nautilus File Manager: "Its Best Moment Since It Was Created"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Sorry, but the dwrite (defaults write_ system comes from NeXT and you've been able to activate those in the Finder since OS X was released.
    You really don't know what you're talking about.
    What does that have to do with what I said? I mentioned you needed to type a command in a terminal to show hidden files, I didn't say that command was invented by Apple. So, unless you're going to tell me it's not true that the only way to show hidden files in Finder is through a terminal command then I don't see how "I don't know what I'm talking about".

Comment

Well, it's obviously easier to maintain an application when you strip down half of its features! Seriously... Gnome developers are freaking mocking us with such bragging after stripping down most features! It's an absolute disgrace! How dare they just open their goddamn mouth when you compare Nautilus now from 5-10 years ago?

I'm still using Nautilus because I'm lazy, but it's clear it became one of the weakest points of Gnome. Everytime I try Dolphin, it's like I'm going from Dacia/Nautilus to Bentley/Dolphin with Windows Explorer at work being some sort of in-between Mercedes. Yes, I said it, Nautilus is the cheap way.

Amongst other things, the removal of the dual pane (F3) and customization (thumbnails size for idiots right now) would be my biggest complaints.

Comment

PCManFM: no GTK3, not tied to a desktop, light, fast.
        But for real things, use the keyboard, use Midnight Commander

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post
          But for real things, use the keyboard, use
          your shell

Comment

another spaceFM user here. has nice features.

Comment

Ha! What a joke. Ever since Gnome 3, Nautilus has gone to shit.

Comment

Nemo all the way baby:

Comment

I've used Nautilus since GNOME 3.16; I experienced a slight problem with file transfers from my FTP server (trying to do two action caused Nautilus to crash; may or may not be fixed by now), but aside from that, it's worked fine for me.

Comment

Nautilus is great! File managers are very important to new users coming from other desktop. Everyone coming from Windows was surprised how beautiful, clean, modern, simple and logical Nautilus is. I personally don't miss any feature and I really like attention to details like online accounts (Google Drive) integration. Actually it has more cool features than ugly old Nautilus but it appears simpler because of intelligent design. I'm so glad that Gnome developers started making (designing) software that is appealing to regular users. I just wish they add dual pane to make advanced users stop complaining.

Comment

Hidden Files option is not temporary in Finder once the dwrite is implemented. The point of browsing via a File Manager is to see the visible files. The point of the command line is to go further and run the ls -a flag to list those hidden files. To say OS X Finder is broken because it doesn't have a mouse driven option to turn on or off the hidden files tells me you haven't a clue the purpose of a File Manager for general consumption. Being UNIX nothing like trashing hidden folders and effing up your system because you're an idiot, drunk, absent minded, you name it.

Closing Finder after the dwrite is set doesn't go back to the default Hidden files not visible. To do that you have to commit the dwrite command to change its state once more.

Comment

Working...
                      X