GNOME's Nautilus File Manager: "Its Best Moment Since It Was Created"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Decay View Post
    Now if only it had the option to show a file's access and modify timestamps instead of just "Today", "Yesterday", "Tuesday", etc. This info should at least be shown in the properties window. Now I have to open the terminal to check it. Rather annoying when sharing/synchronizing files with others.
    Modify Time is an option when right clicking the column headings in detail view (at least in v3.20.1) You can make it the default by modifying the Preferences in the app menu under "List Columns".

This article caused me to look at Files/Nautilus for the first time since Gnome 3.14. It's better, but I still prefer Nemo. It wouldn't surprise me if the underlying code is in better shape, but the zeal with which they have removed features still bugs me. Gimping the sidebar, removing the menus, removing the address bar (but wasting the space anyway), useless zoom levels (at least they added one back), no open terminal button, etc. As someone who still has to use Windows from time to time, Nemo is just more Explorer like, and that's not a bad thing. I'd bet for someone who works on a Mac, the current Nautilus feels more familiar.

Comment

I finally stopped using Nautilus and replaced it with nemo when they replaced the directory search with a global search thing and removed the ability to configure it when pressing backspace to go to the parent directory.

Comment

When GNOME guys thought it'd be cool to cut down Nautilus functionality i started my search for better alternatives and stopped at Dolphin. Even though i was using Gnome-shell, i was using Dolphin, though it was limited until i installed everything it wanted(which as they say half KDE). In time i started to use more KDE software and switch to it completely. The end.

Comment

The blog is mostly about code quality and level ofcontributors.

Fro what I understand, some of the previous features had been hacked on into Nautilus and this was making it hard to keep the features supported or the code to be maintained. It also didnt help that there was only one contributor and he had hiswork cut out, working on many other projects too,

For the past 12 months, there has been much refactoring of the code to put it into better shape and allow better supporting of features. Until this cycle, the application views and the desktop were linked where a change to one would affect the other and not always in positive ways.

Now that there is a more manageable code base with a group of contributors, Nautilus is in a healthier shape. Iam looking forward to see where it goes from here.

Comment

Meh... it's just a file manager, and it does all what I need: browsing directories and files, copying and moving and deleting them.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

Modify Time is an option when right clicking the column headings in detail view (at least in v3.20.1) You can make it the default by modifying the Preferences in the app menu under "List Columns".

This article caused me to look at Files/Nautilus for the first time since Gnome 3.14. It's better, but I still prefer Nemo. It wouldn't surprise me if the underlying code is in better shape, but the zeal with which they have removed features still bugs me. Gimping the sidebar, removing the menus, removing the address bar (but wasting the space anyway), useless zoom levels (at least they added one back), no open terminal button, etc. As someone who still has to use Windows from time to time, Nemo is just more Explorer like, and that's not a bad thing. I'd bet for someone who works on a Mac, the current Nautilus feels more familiar.
              The zoom levels is way better in nautilus than Nemo. Nemo has a lot of levels but most of them is completely broken with gigantic white areas.

Comment

Thunar is my favorite file manager it is lightweight and has all the bells and whistles I would want out of a file manager. But also pcmanfm is a pretty decent alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
                  I'd bet for someone who works on a Mac, the current Nautilus feels more familiar.
                  It doesn't. Nautilus has more features than Mac's Finder. You can't even see, let alone navigate, the entire file system with Finder. You can't see hidden files, and the only way to enable the display of hidden files is with a terminal command that's not even persisted across sessions. It's really really limited if you're used to more useful file managers (including Nautilus).

Comment

Originally posted by wodencafe View Post
                    Any of you guys tried out KDE Dolphin?
                    I did. It's ok, you can customize it in a million ways, but I still went back to Krusader.

Originally posted by You- View Post
                    The blog is mostly about code quality and level of contributors.
                    Gnome & GTK+ seem like they're always about the code and contributors and never about the end-user.

Comment

So now it has evolved into.... an empty white square with no buttons at all?

Comment

Working...
                      X