All The Places You Can Find Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not really. Religion teaches respect, humbleness and empathy. What he exhibits is a fanatic attitude, not a religious one.
    While I disagree with your view on the topic of religion (but respect it nonetheless), let me say I was just using his own words, i.e. "Ubuntu is a religion like ms windows".

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I am sorry that xfce is more configurable and faster than unity and debian testing/sid/experiential with custom kernel is faster and stable than ubuntu. Same experience I had with Zenwalk years ago, too bad it is not updated that often. There is nothing religious when something is technically better than other. Using technically poorer things is religious.

lol, and xfce look like crap in new wide screen! debian is not a distro for desktop use

Comment

I am sorry that xfce is more configurable and faster than unity and debian testing/sid/experiential with custom kernel is faster and stable than ubuntu. Same experience I had with Zenwalk years ago, too bad it is not updated that often. There is nothing religious when something is technically better than other. Using technically poorer things is religious.
        And there's your problem. Faster and more configurable does not automatically mean "technically better". After all, if someone ported MS-DOS to modern hardware, that would be lightning fast with almost no chance of ever crashing. But it wouldn't be better.
        There's no "better" OS. There's just an OS that works better for you, an OS that works better for me and so on.

Comment

This is your experience, I respect it, although I know of many people (me included) with opposite experiences. Additionally, please do understand that many users don't want or need "configurability". And one can always say that LXDE or bare OpenBox are faster and more lightweight than XFCE, and that KDE is more configurable than XFCE. And I really have a hard time understanding how some custom kernel is, by and itself, technically better than thoroughly tested kernels of distros such as Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, CentOS or other. You just state this as a fact, but don't even try to explain how is this so, thus your statements lack a bit of credibility.

Concluding, if Debian+custom kernel+XFCE works for you, great! I do like Debian and XFCE, and have used them, in tandem and otherwise, when appropriate. But don't presume everyone should have the same needs and same opinion as you, and don't presume that Debian and XFCE are a one-size-fits-all solution.

Best regards

Comment

Window buttons in wrong place (left)
            I dare you to say that to an OS X user

Comment

Unity, weird menus and panels. Window buttons in wrong place (left), a lot of more mouse moves and clicks with unity than xfce. Debian is the best distro to use desktops, select them from the installer or install with Synaptic.
              You don't need to use the mouse in Unity, it's one of its great things. Take 5 minutes to learn how it works and how to use it, then you get to criticize. And there is indeed stuff to criticize about it. Just not that "more mouse moves and clicks" thing.

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
                I'm not sure how they qualify a Ubuntu user.
                Personally I have not used the UBUNTU desktop distro since it ballooned to over 1GB and it wouldn't fit on a blank CD. I switched to other distros. All these other distros were Debian; and they all use the Ubuntu ecosystem. So in that sense; I have always used Ubuntu and relied on it.
                I think you've got that backwards. You've always used Debian and relied on it.

Comment

Yeez. I really do not understand all the fuzz about different distributions. It's just different means of installing software packages. Pick one that suites your needs and be done with it.

Comment

Kde does not have freely configurable xfce whisker menu, In plasma desktop 5.60 you can only delete the bottom panel. In xfce you can move panels freely. Login and logout from login manager is 6 times slower than with Xfce.

What exactly can't you do with a KDE menu that you can do with XFCE whisker menu?

Comment

Oh really, not in cpus, graphics cards, mass memory drives etc. Why not in os.
                      Maybe because in an OS features also matter? User habit? Ease of use? And while each of these is important, some users value some more than the others.

Comment

Working...
                      X